Question

Top Student
Catphish
Message 1 of 5 (2,876 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion dv7 Crashing on Startup

My computer froze when I was watching a movie and I had to shut it down. When I started it back up, it was running really slowly and would eventually crash after a few minutes. I tried using system restore and I selected a restore point from the previous day, but it would usually give me an error message that didn't make sense. I also tried startup repair. It said it found a problem and tried to fix it, and it would run Windows normally if it was successful. Nothing changed, and Windows continued to slow down and crash. So I re-upgraded my computer to Windows 7. It seemed to work okay until it got to the 5th step (completing installation) and didn't do anything for over an hour. So I canceled the installation, but again it wouldn't do anything. I held the power button and shut it down.

Since then, my computer always crashes after the HP logo appears. It just shows a black screen, and after a while several squares/rectangles appear on the screen. Whenever I press F11 at the HP logo, it just shows a blank screen and makes a beeping noise whenever I press a key. When I run the Windows 7 upgrade disc, it seems to load properly but the installation window doesn't appear. When I ran my Windows Vista backup disc, it works perfectly fine. However, running this disc will delete all of my files. I think my files might still be on my computer because nothing happened that should have deleted them, as the Windows 7 upgrade (although incomplete) should've moved my files to a folder named windows.old.

My files are quite important, and I'm hoping there's a way to fix my computer without deleting them (assuming they're still on my hard drive). If there isn't a way to get them back, then I'll still be willing to run the Vista backup disc. My last file backup was about three months ago, and there have been many significant changes since then.

Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 5 (2,835 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv7 Crashing on Startup

sounds like the graphics controller is bad, or video memory/video driver issue. Try boot into safe mode or with an external monitor (just in case it's the higher resolution setting or the display panel).

One way to get the files back if you can't boot the hard drive is to use it as a second drive, if you have access to another hard drive or buy a new one.

dv6 probably has only one hard drive slot (most dv7 or dv8 can take 2), to get data out of this, you might need to get an external drive enclosure (at places like Fry's for < $20, with eSATA or usb)

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Top Student
Catphish
Message 3 of 5 (2,829 Views)

I tried upgrading to Windows 7 again and this time it worked. It's still freezing often, but as long as I'm careful I can keep it from crashing. I'm currently backing up my files and when it's done I'll use my back-up discs. Thanks anyway for your help.

Student
Ir0nMan_Laz3r
Message 4 of 5 (1,477 Views)

My pavilion dv7 has bee freezing after several logins and when I ran a diagnostics test, the short dst read in the run-in test read as a fail. What should I do?
Student
Gamergirl26
Message 5 of 5 (1,317 Views)

I am having the same issue. I bought a hp pavillion dv7 in 2010 and ever since a month after it crashes. I could be in playing Forsaken World or World of Warcraft and it will just crash. It's getting really annoying since I paid so much for a laptop that could support my gaming habits. I don't want to bring it to someone like the "geek Squad," because I care for my privacy and my information but I do need help with this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation