Question

Top Student
jjuanino
Message 1 of 6 (31,083 Views)

HP Pavilion dv7 does not enter in BIOS

Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion DV7-2230es, with windows 7 installed. Actually, I cannot start up the windows operating system and cannot go into the BIOS. The symptoms  are the following:

1- After reboot the computer, the message "Hit esc button to go start menu"  appears (in spanish "Presione la tecla esc para acceder al menu inicio"). But computer stop here: windows doest not start, and esc key does not work.

2- I shut down the computer and turn on it again. I try with F1 and the computer shows "F1... system information" (in spanish "F1... informacion del sistema") but it hangs again, and nothing happens.

3- I try with similar function keys, but no luck. With F10 I get "BIOS configuration", but no luck neither.

4- I try the same as 3, but with a recovery DVD inserted. I hear some noise from DVD device, but nothing happens.  The system hangs, and I have to hit CTRL+ALT+SUPR or shut off the laptop.

5- I have done a hard reset, but does not help.

In short: I cannot start the BIOS, I cannot start recovery process, I cannot do anything useful to take control of my laptop. Any idea would be very appreciated.

Best regards, and excuse my poor english.

Top Student
jjuanino
Message 2 of 6 (31,079 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv7 does not enter in BIOS

Sorry, I would mean F11 instead of F10, and the messages is "F11... system recovery". And it hangs again, even with recovery DVD inserted in optical device.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 6 (31,075 Views)

Hi,

When you boot up hit the ESC key then select F9 (boot device options) to bring up the Boot Manager menu. Then insert your recovery disk and select the Internal CD/DVD Rom device and hit enter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
jjuanino
Message 4 of 6 (31,038 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

Esc key does not work at all. Computer hangs after to show the message "Presione la tecla esc para acceder al menu inicio". Esc key does not work, nor function keys. I have to restart again with CONTROL+ALT+SUP.

But I have partially solved this problem by removing the second hard disk drive. After that, computer starts with no especial action, and BIOS is accesible. It seems that BIOS hangs when it is unable to recognize some device. I will give a try that disk by inserting into another laptop. I will update the BIOS also.

Best regards

Big_Dave wrote:

Hi,

When you boot up hit the ESC key then select F9 (boot device options) to bring up the Boot Manager menu. Then insert your recovery disk and select the Internal CD/DVD Rom device and hit enter.

Top Student
amarlalbabu
Message 5 of 6 (19,748 Views)

Hi,

To solve this problem. you have to reset the bios. so on backside of the laptop open the cover by removing the screws. Also remove the screws holding the laptop dvd writer. Now first remove the dvd writer and now remove the cmos battery from the holder. Remember you must remove the latop battery and you should power off the laptop before doing this job.

Remove the cmos battery from the holder and now wait for 2 or 3 mins. After that now again put the cmos battery in the holder and close the laotop. Now power on the laptop and do not touch any keys. The screen says message "press f2 to load defaults" and f10 for bios options. Now press f2 and the laptop now reboots press f10 to get into the bios. That's all. change the date and time and your prefferable first boot device and other settings. now press f10 save settings and exit. your problem is solved now. ok.

Tutor
mhoopes
Message 6 of 6 (14,013 Views)

Thanks, that worked. It's been so long since I've had to fiddle with the ROM or the battery, I'd forgotten how to reset the BIOS.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation