Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

The keyboard on my HP Pavilion g6 is locked.  It was working and then my cat ran across the keyboard and must have hit a key that locked it.  The mouse pad works.  No cap lock or number lock on.  I have already tryed:

1) going in control panel and unchecking everything in make keyboard easier to use. 

2) Took the batery out for a few minutes. 

3) have rebooted computer may times.

Please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand Keyboards, right click on Standard PS/2 Keyboard and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, shut down the notebook - if you're running Windows 8/8.1, do this by holding down the left Shift key as you click on Shutdown to temporarily prevent a hybrid boot. 

When done, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 20 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand Keyboards, right click on Standard PS/2 Keyboard and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, shut down the notebook - if you're running Windows 8/8.1, do this by holding down the left Shift key as you click on Shutdown to temporarily prevent a hybrid boot. 

When done, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 20 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I am sorry to say, I was not able to do what you said.  I got as far as control panel, device manager but no standard Ps/2 keyboard to choose from. 

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!!  I did the rest of what you said and it worked.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're more than welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried more than once everything that You suggested, but it' s not working. Yet I'm able to reset the default settings in the bios menu using the keyboard, which is why I don't understand why it's not working afterwards.

Is there anything else I should try?

Thank you,

Marie-France

HP Recommended
My computer keyboard is locked .... how do I unlock it ..
HP Recommended

I was working and everything was fine and I left to have some dinner and came back and front screen where you renter password to wake it up was on, but when I type my password no letters/characters will fill the password box.  The keys make the clicking sound but nothing more.  The password hint shows up and I know my password and have never had something like this happen before.  Is something on the keyboard locked?  No one else is here and I have no pets so I have no idea what happened.  In advance, thank you...I'm trying to finish my thesis!

HP Recommended
The problem with he above advice is that you tell the user to "press f10", now how exactly am I suppose to do this with a keyboard that isn't working? Sorta feels like you don't quite get the issue!
HP Recommended

@Maureen436

Unfortunately, if the keyboard isn't even recognised by the bios, which is a very basic function, it would very likely point to a hardware issue.

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.