Question

Top Student
Mark107
Message 1 of 5 (366 Views)

HP Pavilion won't boot

My HP Pavilion DV4 isn't booting properly. I get a 'blink light' error (caps, number lock, 1 blink per second). The first time this happened I was able to start up by removing the battery & unplugging the AC power cord, pressing the power button for 15 secs to drain the power, plugging in without the battery and starting the computer.  On the very next start-up, I had the same problem (doesn't boot, blink light error). Whereas the above protocol was not successful, pressing start while holding all four arrows (BIOS Recovery) got it to start.

Can someone tell me if it is likely that these problems will continue or if there is a fix?

I'm hesitant to shut-down the machine until I have either confidence that it will start again or I have time to get a new machine. This seems to be a commonly discussed problem on the message boards attributed to poor cooling and failing solders. 

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 5 (347 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion won't boot

Hi,

Please try a hard reset and see if it works.

1. Power off your laptop
2. Remove the a/c adapter, battery and everything that is attached to your laptop.
3. Hold the 'POWER 'button down on your laptop for about 10 seconds.
4. Plug in the a/c power supply (without battery) and power on.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
Mark107
Message 3 of 5 (335 Views)

Thanks, I tried that the first time and it worked. It did not work the second time. The second time required a BIOS recovery.  Do you think that the problem is fixed now and that I can shut down the machine with confidence that it will restart?

Top Student
Mark107
Message 4 of 5 (284 Views)

Everytime the computer powers down or runs out of battery, it won't restart unless we do a BIOS recovery first. Sometimes it requires that we wait ~24 hours before the BIOS recovery works.

How do we fix this?

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 5 of 5 (254 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Mark107,

You should go to HP.com and update your BIOS. You’ll need your product number.

This might adjust the temp at which the fan comes on, if it’s a cooling problem.

Also run a diagnostics by tapping F2 at start up and make sure that there is not a hardware issues.

Let me know how it goes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation