Re: HP Pavillion G7 2223nr laptop- not booting past Welcome screen (707 Views)
Student
HawkHunter8
Message 1 of 2 (741 Views)

HP Pavillion G7 2223nr laptop- not booting past Welcome screen

A) HP Pavillion G7 2223nr laptop

B) Windows 8 x64

C) Event Viewer often showed errors regarding the video card. Shortly after logging in, Catalyst Control Host also crashed and I was forced to  close it.

D) A system refresh (settings reverted to default, files intact) was performed.

E) Done.

For a while, my laptop has crashed whenever a program was run that used the video card heavily. Things such as VLC Media Player and Microsoft Word caused the computer to freeze up. No error, everything just stopped.

After force resetting the computer, Event Viewer said it was an error in the Video Card freezing up. The video card model is the AMD Radeon HD 7640G Display Drive. I reinstalled the driver and rebooted, no change.

After the crashes increased in frequency I thought that if I refreshed the computer, I could reset whatever malicious settings were causing this to happen.

After refreshing the computer, it booted and set up the computer as if it were new. I went through the "We're setting up your computer dialogs" and "Almost ready" dialogs, then it went to a black screen.

Hard rebooted again and it logs in, says "Welcome" and goes past that to ANOTHER black screen. Yay.

It won't let me go into Safe Mode to get my files. Shift + F8 won't work. My files are locked in there and I at least want to get my data before reformatting, if possible. If reformatting is the only way I'll have to take it.

Should I use a Windows 8 disc to try repairs? Or what should I do?
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 2 of 2 (707 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion G7 2223nr laptop- not booting past Welcome screen

HawkHunter8,

You want to reformat your computer.

On windows 8 they have removed the safe mode option.

You can use the HP recovery manager to back up your information before you wipe the drive.

Here is a link with video to walk you through the steps of the recovery.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation