Question

Student
boylek2
Message 1 of 5 (1,069 Views)

HP ProBook 4540 laptop CAPS LOCK comes on randomly, hijacks keyboard and mouse

I bought my laptop four months ago. Every once in a while when I am typing on my laptop, the keyboard starts acting wacky. I can't force it to replicate the problem, and I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that I do differently that makes the problem start. I can usually fiddle around with the keys and eventually it goes away, but I'm not sure why.

Very occasionally, if I turn on then turn off caps lock, the function will get flipped. There's a little blue light on the caps lock key to indicate when it's on. There's also that annoying little pop-up that comes on the laptop screen whenever caps lock is turned on or off. Suddenly caps lock will turn on (I might have bumped it??), and the blue light goes on. But the pop-up comes on my screen saying that caps lock is "off." I can toggle back and forth between caps lock "on" and "off," by pressing the caps lock key, but the pop-up says the OPPOSITE of what the blue light says.

After this happens, I can't type correctly. I can type in ALL CAPS, but I can't use the period key, because it comes up as ">" instead of "." (that's not supposed to happen with caps lock, is it?). If I turn the caps lock off though, I can't use the shift key.

Furthermore, although I can move the mouse, it's as though the CTRL key is also being pressed at the same time. So I can't click on anything correctly. If I am in Windows explorer, I can't choose a folder or file because when I click on anything, all folders and files in the pop-up window get selected.

I usually start randomly pressing ESC, or CTRL+ALT+DEL, then press the shift keys and CTRL keys to see if they are stuck down. About a minute later I'll do something (I don't know what), and it will go back to normal.

This wouldn't be such a problem, except that I use my computer to type my in-class exams at school. I have finals coming up. I used the computer for my midterm, and it did this twice in an hour and 45 minutes.

Help? Thanks!

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 5 (1,033 Views)

Your notebook is a Enterprise/Business model. I would recommend posting this in the HP Enterprise Support Forums for better coverage, as this is the consumer support forums.

You can access the enterprise support forums at the following link.

HP Enterprise Business Community
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
whichleerve
Message 3 of 5 (967 Views)

Re: HP ProBook 4540 laptop CAPS LOCK comes on randomly, hijacks keyboard and mouse

I bought my laptop HP4540 approx 2 months ago. Every once in a while when I am typing on my laptop, the keyboard starts acting wacky. I can't force it to replicate the problem, and I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that I do differently that makes the problem start. I can usually fiddle around with the keys and eventually it goes away, but I'm not sure why.

Very occasionally, if I turn on then turn off caps lock, the function will get flipped. There's a little blue light on the caps lock key to indicate when it's on. There's also that annoying little pop-up that comes on the laptop screen whenever caps lock is turned on or off. Suddenly caps lock will turn on (I might have bumped it??), and the blue light goes on. But the pop-up comes on my screen saying that caps lock is "off." I can toggle back and forth between caps lock "on" and "off," by pressing the caps lock key, but the pop-up says the OPPOSITE of what the blue light says.

After this happens, I can't type correctly. I can type in ALL CAPS, but I can't use the period key, because it comes up as ">" instead of "." (that's not supposed to happen with caps lock, is it?). If I turn the caps lock off though, I can't use the shift key.

Furthermore, although I can move the mouse, it's as though the CTRL key is also being pressed at the same time. So I can't click on anything correctly. If I am in Windows explorer, I can't choose a folder or file because when I click on anything, all folders and files in the pop-up window get selected.

I usually start randomly pressing ESC, or CTRL+ALT+DEL, then press the shift keys and CTRL keys to see if they are stuck down. About a minute later I'll do something (I don't know what), and it will go back to normal.

This wouldn't be such a problem, except that I use my computer to type my in-class exams at school. I have finals coming up. I used the computer for my midterm, and it did this twice in an hour and 45 minutes.

Help? Thanks!

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 5 (949 Views)

Your notebook is an Enterprise/Business model. I would recommend posting this in the HP Enterprise Support Forums for better coverage.

You can access the enterprise support forums at the following link.

http://goo.gl/LsnuK
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
whichleerve
Message 5 of 5 (935 Views)

Re: HP ProBook 4540 laptop CAPS LOCK comes on randomly, hijacks keyboard and mouse

Daer HP this is not good.  :smileysad:
Problem in new warranty HP laptops. :smileysad:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation