Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

RE: ProBook 4530s, Windows 7 64-bit

The problem is that after an automatic update of my HP Support Assistant yesterday I now have a small panel in the lower right that says: "HP Support Assiatant, Restart needed" with options to select "Remind me in 1 day (etc)"

I have restarted the computer a number of times but this panel keeps coming back every time.

I called HP support for business notebooks at 1-(800)-334-5144 and a case was opened, but all they did was have me take out the battery and hold down the on-off button for 30 seconds, but the Restart needed panel keeps coming back. Now when I call that 1-800 number again and go through the initial automated routing, the line goes dead. Various other HP Support phone numbers that I have called routed me back to that same 1-800 number, so I am stuck.

I see from a Google search that this problem is an epidemic with HP notebooks. I need this panel gone or it will restart my notebook in the middle of work I am doing.

My notebook is still in warranty.    I don't understand why I can't get this fixed.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

M3,

Thoughts on this Subject..

Try / Consider:

So... What happens if you remove the HPSA altogether?

Uninstalling Software (Windows 7)

It sounds like the program is corrupted - obviously - or it would not be doing this.  I cannot think of anything other than trying to purge it from the system and registry to stop it from rebooting your system.

You might also try running the File System sfc checker AFTER you remove the HP Support Assistant.  the sfc scanner is supposed to go through your entire File System looking for, and fixing, file system errors -- at least all that it can find and repair.  If the issue is worse than one of the HPSA being the source, that is, if the issue has "spread", then the sfc scan may find and fix the underlying problem.

Using System File Checker (SFC) to Restore System Files

System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Wi...

Once, and IF, that works, then you might try reinstalling the HP Support Assistant from a fresh download.

Install the Latest Version of the Support Assistant

HP Support Assistant

================================================================================

I hope this helps...

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon:

Thanks for your detailed suggestions about how to get rid of the HP SA 'restart needed' panel that was covering part of my screen. I uninstalled HP SA and then ran the file scan you suggested, and then installed the latest version of HP SA from the link you gave me. 

Unfortunately, after I did all that the 'restart needed' panel returned, and it was not removed by restarting my notebook.

Then my wife suggested that she uninstall HP SA, which she did. After she did that, the 'restart needed' panel disappeared.

The good news in this is that, indirectly, your advice did lead to a solution.

I do not intend to reinstall HP SA. If this means that my computer will not function properly, then I will return it and get my money back. Unlike this computer, there was nothing wrong with my money.

Like I said before, this seems to be an epidemic problem from what I see from a Google search. When I was a grad student many decades ago our lab was full of HP scopes and other equipment. That stuff was built like a battleship and never failed. Unfortunately, HP stuff is not like that any more. I could mention a bunch of other problems that I have had with this ProBook 4530s, but just one more: When I bought this notebook, I also bought an HP wireless mouse, which was often unstable and stopped working unless I restarted the notebook and turned the HP mouse off and on. Then it would work again. Then I bought a cheap Logitech wireless mouse and it has run without any kind of problem from the first time I used it. Amazing: the HP mouse crashes on an HP computer, but the Logitech mouse runs perfectly.

There's a message in that. The message for me is: never, as in *NEVER*, buy anything with HP on it again. I may never even buy HP sauce again, too.  That's about as much comedy I can generate about HP at this point.

HP Recommended

Yes, the main fix was to uninstall and clean up the file system.  The suggestion that you "might try reinstalling" was in the event that you wanted HPSA on the system enough to risk trying again.  Smiling.   I have HPSA on some systems and not on others.

Most of the tools in the HPSA are in your computer as separate programs.  Any tools that are not already included in the Operating System are not essential to your computer's operation in any way.

In my opinion, you do not need the HPSA on that notebook.  The HPSA software is great when it works.  For many users, the HPSA makes some operations easier and more convenient -- and it helps consolidate some tools in one place.    The fact is that you can get along with out it and all will be well.

You can download and install your drivers manually from your computer's own website:

HP Probook 4350s Software and Drivers Win 7 - 64bit

There is a lot of other information at your computer's website ... take the time to look around if you have never done so.

Oh, and I've used Logitech mice for years - all different kinds of them.  I prefer HP computers and Logitech mice.  Some  mice are fancy enough to have their own software.  Smiling.

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

A Follow Up:

I may have missed something on this...  A ticket on a similar subject answered by our Expert DavidPK indicates that part of that user's issue may be a need for an Update to the .NET Framework.

Such may be the case for your system and its stubborn HPSA popup "restart" needed error.  The two issues are not directly the same thing, of course; the Framework does support the underlying structure of the program -- there could be a relationship.

Framework Description:

The HP Software Framework provides a common set of software interfaces that centralize and simplify access to hardware, BIOS and HP specific windows drivers on supported notebooks with supported operating systems.

If you decide to pursue, then you might take DavidPK's advice:

====================================================================================

IF you have Reinstalled the HPSA by the time of reading this Post:

First of all, uninstall your current version of HP Support Assistant by using the Microsoft 'Fixit' on the following link - this is particularly useful in correcting issues that may prevent problems with reinstallation on machines running a 64bit OS.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

NEXT:

When windows has reloaded, download the installer for HP Software Framework on the following link and save it to your Downloads folder. 

NOTE:  M3, this is YOUR Framework link, adjusted for your Probook 4530s system.

HP Software Framework V4.5.12.1

Next, open the Control Panel, open Programs and Features and uninstall the current version of HP Software Framework.  Again, when this has completed, restart the notebook.

Let windows fully load, then open your Downloads folder, right click on the HP Software Framework installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.

After this installation has completed, restart the notebook.

====================================================================================

NEXT:  IF, at this point, you would like to try it, you can now reinstall the HPSA and see if it will finally behave itself.

It is entirely possible the the update to the .NET Framework will help.  It is a good thing to have regardless.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello

Same problem on an HP Envy 17 Windows 7 Ultimate - all windows update done.

It starts with  an automatic HP Support Assistant update to 7.0.39.15... At reboot, messages "windows restart needed" began continuously. HSA was no more in function: at each start, the same message was triggered.

The only way to get rid of these messages was to uninstall the new HSA with windows restore to get back to the working 6.1.12.1 version

A clean manual install of the new 7.0.39.15 - downloaded from ftp - triggers the same error messages.

So I went back again to the 6.1.12.1 version...

Waiting for an other new release??? 😛

Kind regards

Philippe

HP Recommended

PHDSG,

Rats, that is disappointing.  It appears we must wait for a fix ... and be sure to use the 6.1.x version until then.

Thanks.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi all,

HP support assistant v7 works properly on my work laptop but not on my home pc.

On my HP DV6 HPSA v7 crashes everytime I use the update function, then HPSF.exe crashes everytime it turn I attempt to use the program.

It's either this or the 'restart required' notification in the lower right keeps appearing and I'm never able to use the program at all.

I guess I'll have to revert back v6 until HP get their act together. any ideas when this will happen?

HP Recommended

Hello Dragon, M3333HP, Kilgin,

Here is a workaround that works on my computer Envy Windows 7 Ultimate to install the HSA 7.0.39.15 over the 6.1.12.1

1. I donwloaded from HP the new SP58915, the HSA HP support package.
  2. I installed it above the 6.1.12.1 and indeed I fell prey to this continuous "restart needed"  popup.
  3. Then I went to c:\swsetup\sp58915\ directory, the installation directory created by the SP58915 setup, and I ran the UninstallHPSA.exe unistaller. The uninstall process went until its end without any problem.
  4. I went back to to c:\swsetup\sp58915\ directory and relaunched the setup.exe file. At the end, a last process started: "completing installation"   - that I never saw with the first install above 6 - and I got the message "installation complete"... and HSA was indeed running.
  5. At restart now, HSA is loaded correctly without any problem or intempestive popup.

I tested this workaround 2 times (restoring my initial config) with the same positive result...

I hope this can also work for you...

Have a nice week end,

Philippe

HP Recommended

Excellent.  Good to know that one can get around this bug with some work and persistance.

It is worth trying for anyone having the issue with HPSA and that pesky "Restart" problem.

Thanks for posting!

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.