Question

Honor Student
BlackJack3210
Message 1 of 4 (1,283 Views)

HP Tablet will not perform restart or proper startup/ hangs prior to boot screen

I have the tx2110us tablet and last Friday it started to fail on startup.  It would hang up prior to reaching the boot screen where alternate selections can be entered or setup mode can be entered.  intermitent.  The only way it would restart is by holding the power button for 5 sec to shut down (Hard Shut Down I know)  and then repeating the startup till it got past this problem.  It would bring up windows but always seems to hang on restart.  I thought it might be a hard drive issue and so I did a Hard Drive check through the setup menu under diagnostics but to no avail.  I have checked my memory modules and they seem fine.  The Processor seems fine also.  I did try a known good hard drive (removed from an external drive to use as a trial) and it still froze up.  the HD Test also showed there were no faults with the original drive.  I have flashed the bios with the most current update and that seemed to be the only time it did do an actual reboot.  Although the next time it hung up again.  One other thing, with the DVD drive out it seems to hang up less often so it makes me wonder if it might be a power supply issue that is causing all my problems, I can not tell what the true power being sent to the MB is as I can't see a power monitoring feature like I use with my Asus boards.  This is where I'm at, and I can't afford a new computer.  The computer works so I think it has to be something small I'm either overlooking or I can fix.  It would be so much better if it had bit the dust if it stayed OFF and didn't work at all because then I would not second guess having to buy a new one.

Honor Student
BlackJack3210
Message 2 of 4 (1,262 Views)

Re: HP Tablet will not perform restart or proper startup/ hangs prior to boot screen

I thought they were supposed to have their experts working these halls? 

Honor Student
mrkickin
Message 3 of 4 (1,206 Views)

Re: HP Tablet will not perform restart or proper startup/ hangs prior to boot screen

I just had this problem myself, performed all the same tests.  When I power up my tx1410us all the lights come on the fan spins and what not, but nothing displays and no keyboard response, therefore no access to the BIOS.  I also noticed there was no harddrive activity.  After attempting to restart it 30 times or so It did finally power up all the way onto my desktop, I'm using Windows 7.  I have been able to do this 2 times since the problem occured June 10, 2010.

Just before I had the "No Boot" problem my screen did something I've never seen before.  As an IT Admin for 30 workstations for the last 5 years, I've seen just about everything.  Prior to the failure a close approximation of the colors that were on my screen collapsed into a tiny bar about 5-10 pixes by 70-100 or so and repeated across and down the entire screen.  On the 2 successful boots afterwards the same thing happened.

When I use my laptop at my desk I have it hooked up to a monitor using the monitor port directly on the laptop and have my laptop configured to only use the external monitor.  This problem happened twice while attached to the monitor and the 3rd time with no cables of any kind plugged in to my laptop, no power, network, usb, nothing.  Something else to note, about a month ago I was experiencing some major heating issues.  After trying all kinds of fans, heatsinks, and cooling pads I finally was able to keep it cool using some plastic tubing to supply air directly from the AC unit in my office.  I know, I know, this was a crazy solution but it did keep the laptop plenty cool.

After troubleshooting for a couple hours I concluded it must be a hardware issue with either the MB or CPU, I figured it likely came down to the video portion of the MB.  Then I proceed to the internet to search the forums for solutions.  I was very surprised at all the results I found of others having similar issues.

One theory I have which I will only be able to explore if I ever get it to boot up again, is due to any recently installed automatic updates.  I've ran into times when an update ruined a users' RAM module and even a 3COM RAID controller on our server.  It's entirely possible that an updated caused the GPU to become overworked to the point of overheating.  I am interested to know from others who have ran into this issue if you've found that updates were installed shortly before the problem occured, namely nVidia updates or driver related updates.

The more possibilities we can rule out the more we can identify who's responsible for this rather common problem.

Honor Student
mrkickin
Message 4 of 4 (1,168 Views)

[ Edited ]

FYI,

I did manage to get my tx1410 back up and going.  It is much more reliable but still occasionally has problems.  It has hibernated and resumed as well as slept and resume properly.  I did review the updates and there was nothing even close to a driver related or even system related update, only defender definition updates for at least a month.

I also downloaded a freeware fan monitoring utility, SpeedFan, from download.com.  The results I found were very interesting.  I left the laptop in an idle state, pretty much left it just as it starts with no programs running and I don't like very many unnecessary tasks running, especially at startup, so the running tasks were minimal.  One task that was running is Microsoft's virus utility, not Defender but the one that you can freely download that makes the red flag go away in system security for virus software.

While my laptop was idle the virus utility downloaded updates in the background which shouldn't require any extra processing from the GPU.  When the CPU when into high gear the core temp went from 106º F to about 124º F while the GPU wend from 118º F to 130º F.  No matter what was being processed the GPU temp was always higher than the CPU temp.

The heatpipe that transfers the heat to the fan cooled heatsinks runs directly over the top of the GPU.  It was engineered this way with the intent of pulling heat away from both the CPU and GPU.  What really happens though, is the GPU becomes part of the escape route for heat generated by the CPU which is why the GPU is always hotter.  Also the CPU sits inside a socket which keeps the solder points on the MB at a safer distance while the GPU is low profile and directly soldered to the MB.  This is why the GPU has the tendency to fail.  A more effective solution would be to engineer a cooling system where the CPU and the GPU take separate paths to the fan cooled heatsinks.  Until this happens any laptop, not just HPs, designed this way will place excessive stress on the GPU and likely result in failure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation