Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Probook 470 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hello,
I have encountered a problem which caused me unable to access my laptop.
When i start my pc yesterday, after key-in my password at WinMagic screen(which is the screen before Windows start), then a pop-up shows "Unable to unlock media, please re-try after the computer restart"
So i did, but the outcome are the same with same pop-up message.
I tried searching on google and found one relevant case saying that i will have to leave my lappy for 4 days, 2 for the drive itself to encrypt and 2 for itself to decrypt.
Other case says that only HP recovery can help to restore my access yo Windows.
I do not have recovery file and that i do not want to lose all my data, please advise me what to do to resolve this issue.
Thanks so much.
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

We have had a laptop do the exact same thing. The user mentioned they had some updates that got applied and they rebooted the laptop and it now wont start. They have been using it fine for a year and have the recovery qustion answers but it just does as you say "Unable to unlock media"

HP Recommended

Ok i solved my issues. Go into the bios security settings. You need to enable the recovery questions options. f7 i think it was. Once i used that option and put the 3 questions in it finally allowed me to boot (never went to winmagic boot screen so i guess its intended purpose is to allow you to skip this). Not sure why the f7 option worked when doing the same thing from within the winmagic part didnt.

HP Recommended

I encountered the same problem following automatically applied on-line updates. Your post enabled me to solve the problem and resume normal service. Thanks very much for your helpful advice.

HP Recommended

This definetly helped me. I needed to go into the BIOS and I setup the HP Spare Key, once done I was able to use our recovery disk to log back in.

HP Recommended

I have had my HP laptop for at least a year now.

Yesterday evening, my laptop went through a BIOS update.  The HP Support screen kept popping up, so I explored a little and noticed my hard drive wasn't encrypted.  I clicked on it.  I did hit APPLY.  

I shut down shortly thereafter.

I just started it back up and I can't get past the HP Drive Encryption screen.  I have never had a different password (I enter the same one) and it doesn't work.  I tried the SPAREKEY with the F7 and three questions....also doesn't work.  I can't get in!  I'm in panic mode...also kicking myself because really, did I really need to encrypt my hard drive?  Probably not.  Darn!  

Ideas?  

Edit:  Oh crap.  I entered another password and it told me I entered the wrong password.  I AM entering the correct password and it is not allowing me to access my media.  I must be in the middle of drive encryption (saw it takes 2 days on another forum).  Crap, crap, crap.  I'm such a rookie.

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear of your problems. I hope that someone at HP is watching this thread because the difficulty has arisen as a result of updates that were applied automatically. 

Meanwhile, if it is any consolation, the F7 and three questions method does work on a log in by log in basis. However, it does not resolve the underlying failure. In other words, I am having to use the esc, F7 and three questions solution each and every time I  restart.

Does anyone have a permanent solution, please?

HP Recommended

I logged a support ticket about this issue. This is what i got back after a couple of weeks. I never went thourgh the whole thing as the user i had the issue with just backed all there data up and we whiped the drive and reinstalled. But see the below. The username and password probably dont work anymore but you can atleast use the below to get hp to help out. Sorry i dont have the file anymore from that ftp either. There are alot of images that go with the below as well but i just copyed the text.

Thank you for contacting HP Customer Care Centre.

This e-mail is in reference to the

We appreciate your patience while troubleshooting and resolving the issue.

Issue: Drive Encryption Issue

Please try the below steps and download the tool from the below link:

FTP Access  :     ftp://temps2er:ma!PC3zp@h2.usa.hp.com

Drop Box Host:    h2.usa.hp.com  (15.201.164.55, Failover: 15.240.92.59)

Login:            temps2er

Password:         ma!PC3zp  (NOTE: CASE-sensitive)

Its strongly recommended that the hard drive is backed up prior to repairing. This is an encrypted hard drive and will need to be backed up with a disk duplicator or drive dock, performing a sector by sector copy to another hard drive.

1. Obtain the SDWmgRecovery.exe tool and SD WinPE ISO from Third Level support.
  2. Attach the encrypted drive as a secondary drive to a computer with Windows 7 (x64 bit) or Windows 8.X (x64 bit) that can boot to Windows.
  3. Once the drive is attached determine which driveletter is the encrypted drive and where the WinMagicSECURDOC.WMG file is located. Typically this is a hidden file and an OS file so check the file attributes to view and make a note of the path and the filenameWMG file.

Figure 3. WMG File
  4. Run SDWmgRecovery from a CMD prompt in Windows with no switches and note the message it reports. If the report indicates the WMG file is contiguous and linked correctly, then proceed to step 6. Otherwise proceed to step 5.

Figure 4. WMG File contiguous and linked correctly message

NOTE: If help is required for proper switch usage, refer to Figure 5.

Figure 5. Switch usage
  5. The following command repairs the SDSpace and re-links the MBR:
    SDWmgRecovery -w "g:\WinMagicSECURDOC.WMG " - f (Assuming G:\WinMagicSECURDOC.WMG is the location of the WMG file).

NOTE: Forcing the update should not harm the hard drive. It it recommended to run the -f command to verify linking.
  6. After the initial error is corrected, install the drive back into the original computer, attempt to boot from the disk and login to Windows. At this time, the unit may start and allow a sucessful login. If this occurs the repair is completed. However, the computer may display a BCD error. If one of the following BCD errors are displayed, continue to step 7:

Boot\BCD error Status: 0xc0000098
    Or
    Boot\BCD error Status: 0xc000000f
  7. To resolve the BCD Error, obtain the SD WinPE bootable disk ISO from third level support. Boot from this CD in the computer with the encrypted drive installed as the primary hard drive.

NOTE: For Microsoft Windows 8 and 8.1 computers, disable Secure Boot within the F10 BIOS setup. Also switch the Mode from Native to Hybrid to allow the computer to boot from the CD.
  8. Navigate to the TBLauncher.

Figure 6. TBLauncher
  9. Run the SecureDoc Recovery Plugin then click the users drive in the Disk Status screen (Usually Disk 0) to expand the drive and show all the partitions. One drive partition should show a key by it at this time. If it does not, as shown in Figure 7, perform steps 2 – 5 again, or you may want to engage 3LS for assistance.

Figure 7. SecureDoc Recovery
  10. Unlock the encrypted partition. Use one of the following methods to unlock the encrypted partition.
  11. Use the customer´s login name and password to unlock it.
  12. Use the original backup DAT file to unlock it using the following steps:
  13. a. Select or highlight the encrypted partition.
  1. Click the Unlock button
  2. Select the correct Disk, User, and enter the customer´s password or click the keyfile tab and specify the location where their backup.dat file is located.

Figure 8. Location of status and disk

Figure 9. Select disk and enter password
  1. Once the encrypted drive is unlocked, the following message will be displayed:

The media was unlocked successfully

Figure 10. Unlocked message
  2. From TBLauncher, Run the Q-DIR utility and verify which drive is the System Partition, and the proper path to the Windows folder. Typically the C partition is the System drive, and d:\Windows is the path to the Windows folder but this can vary from drive to drive.

Figure 11. Q-Dir utility
  3. From the TBLauncher, launch a CMD prompt and use the following command to repair: (Assuming the C drive is the System partition, and the D drive has the Windows folder on it).
    Bcdboot d:\windows /s c:

Figure 12. Repair command
  4. Ensure the message "Boot files successfully created." is displayed after running the BCD Boot command. If the message was not displayed, review the previous instructions , the drive was not unlocked or the command may have pointed to the wrong drive letters and paths with the switches.

Figure 13. Success message
  5. If a successful message is displayed shutdown.
  6. If any F10 settingswere changed in step 7, configure them back to theoriginal settings.

NOTE: Do not restore defaults.
  7. Start the computer and attempt to login to Windows.

HP Recommended

Have the same problem over here in The Netherlands.

Try to follow the instructions to resolve the problem, but username and password doesn't seem to work.

Anu new name and password available to get the neccessary files?

Thanks in advance, Henk Attema

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.

Try to follow the instructions to resolve the problem, but username and password doesn't seem to work.

Any new name and password available to get the neccessary files?

Thanks in advance, Hans Mulder

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.