Question

Tutor
joshdagg
Message 1 of 29 (51,502 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP laptop won't boot

I used my laptop this morning (HP G60 531CA), and upon turning it on this afternoon, I am greeted by a black screen. No BIOS, no errors, nothing. The hard drive spins up and then stops. I'm thinking it's the motherboard, but I'm not sure.
Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 29 (51,500 Views)

Re: HP laptop won't boot

Hi,

It's always worth trying a Hard Reset as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for a full minute.  Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and start the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
joshdagg
Message 3 of 29 (51,498 Views)

Still nothing.
Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 29 (51,484 Views)

Hi,

If you have more than one Memory Module installed, try the following - ( if you only have 1 Module installed, try it in the other slot ).

With reference to the link below, remove one of your memory modules and then see if the notebook will boot.  If it doesn't, try the same module, but in the other slot.  If is still doesn't boot, try the other memory module in both slots, to see if any combination will allow the notebook to start.

The procedure for removing these modules is detailed starting on Page 52 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
joshdagg
Message 5 of 29 (51,469 Views)

The sucker still won't boot. I also tried pulling out the hard drive and cd drive, but still nothing. I'm going to take a look at the motherboard and see if anything is visually strange.

Tutor
joshdagg
Message 6 of 29 (51,468 Views)

I figured out the problem - once I had the keyboard out, I decided to play around with the cable going to the display, and sure enough, it wasn't fully in.

Honor Student
Machinery
Message 7 of 29 (49,586 Views)

IT ALL STARTED ONE DAY AFTER SHUTTING DOWN MY SYSTEM NORMALLY I PICKED IT UP AT NIGHT AND THE NEXT THING WAS THAT

ALL THE LIGHTS COMES ON AFTER ON AND THE HDD LIGHT THE CAPLOCK LIGHT AND THE DVDROM LIGHTS STARTS BLINKING SIMUTENIOULY BUT THE DISPLAY NEVER COMES ON AT ALL

AND IF THE DVDROM IS OPENED THERE IS A LIGH INSIDE BLIKING TOO AND IT MAKE A SLIT NOISE LIKE SOMTHING TRYING TO MOVE EVERY 2 SECOND

AND HADDRIVE WAS REMEVED YET IT DINT WORK WHEN DVD ROM IS OPENED AND HAD DRIVE IS NOT PRESENT THE NOISE STOPS AND STILL DOSE NOT DISPLAY OR COME UP

NUT THE FAN OF THE PROCESSOR IS WORKING

I AM HAVING SAME ISSUE HOW DO I GET HELPED

I HAVE TRIED ALL THE MEMORY REMOVING

Student
hlw246
Message 8 of 29 (48,247 Views)

POST startup is intermittent.  Once does start all is well.

Honor Student
RICKPENA
Message 9 of 29 (47,718 Views)

My hp laptop won't load up the windows 7 program correctly... What can I do???

Top Student
HPtotallySuxx
Message 10 of 29 (47,619 Views)

My computer was doing the same thing, after using a new, after-market, high-capacity battery that I bought off of amazon.  Here's what I did that fixed it:

1. Purchased and installed a new CMOS battery (you can look up on youtube how to do this. It was pretty easy, and only cost about $5.)  I don't know if installing a new CMOS battery was necessary, because I didn't try the following steps until it was already replaced.

2. Took out the main battery, plugged in the AC adapter, turned the computer on.

3. Left the computer "on" (as much as it could be), with the screen black, scroll & caps locks blinking. 

4. After a couple minutes of sitting there, the computer booted up, just like it used to.

5. The scroll & caps locks still blink, which is weird, but otherwise everything else works fine.

My theory:  The main laptop battery (maybe due to its high-cap size) was draining the CMOS battery (which I think runs the motherboard).  Much like when your car battery dies, the CMOS battery needs to be charged in order for your motherboard to run.  However, it won't charge unless the computer is turned on.  However, with the main battery in, the charge was going straight to the main battery, not allowing the smaller CMOS battery to recharge.

So by removing the main battery, and turning the computer on, the CMOS battery could recharge enough to once again start up the computer.  

* Note: Once computer was started, I put the main battery back in and ran it off of that, unplugged from the AC adapter.  I left it on overnight to see what would happen when the main battery was drained.  In the morning, even with the AC adapter plugged in, the computer once again was up to its old shenanigans - blank screen, blinking lights, not booting up.  I repeated the steps above (2-5), and it worked again (I'm typing on the laptop now).  

I have no formal computer training, so who knows if this is all accurate, but it  worked.  Hope this works for everyone else having this problem - I know there are a lot of people out there with the same issue.

(Note: when creating the log on for this forum "HPsux" and "HPsuxx" were already taken - that should tell you something HP!!!)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation