Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi.

I was using windows 8 perfectly..but today when I restarted my laptop i didnt get the 'press esc to go to setup menu' and once loaded the windows icon. It got stuck on the black screen..

Any ideas or suggestions ?? How can i get back ?? Icannot go to boot menu neither can load task manager..
"It was a cartoonic moment, when gravity stops for coyote to make him realize that he was wrong since the very beginning."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue was resolved in these following simple steps:

1. Switched off my laptop.

2. Removed the battery.

3. Started by laptop on charger cable only.

4. Added the battery once the laptop was on! 🙂

The issue was with the Windows 8 OS, I still have to face this issue sometimes.

"It was a cartoonic moment, when gravity stops for coyote to make him realize that he was wrong since the very beginning."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

you could spend hours and hours and hours trying to figure out how to make your computer work again, or reinstall and pretty much have a clean slate... I think the fastest way to fix that is to reinstall windows . if you have any data on disk then do one thing download acronics bootable iso image and burn it to any cd drive with freeisoburner..

boot your system it with cd and select first optoin  ............ full version etc..

then go to backup tab and select the files you want to backup.. and save it as .zip extension.. bu default it will show you .tib but you can select from dropdown list for zip extension.

then reinstall  or recover your os .. (Reinstall or Recovery option will delete all your data from HDD. Make backup of data before proceed.)

Hope it helps!

**Clicking on the Kudos! white star is a nice way to say thank you on any post that helped you or resolved the problem.**
**Selecting "Accept as Solution" for a reply that solves your issue helps others who are searching the web for an answer**
HP Recommended
1. I don't want a thing but my laptop. I am trying to go back to the previous system i mean win7. All I want is laptop to detect any usb or dvd. But it doesnot!

It dont show up any option. If my c:\ will get formatted during this its ok. all i want is my laptop back to work. you said any data. Do you mean 'Any Data' ?
HP Recommended
Hi Afzaal Ahmed..

Try this..

Shutdown the pc.. Remove all the cords and the battery from the pc..

Press and hold down the power button for 10-15secs..

Turn on the pc and tap the F11 key continously for untill you see a screen which says choose your keyboard layout..

Choose your k/b layout and click next..

Then Choose the option - Troubleshoot..

Then select Recovery Manager or System Recovery..

Choose the target OS as windows 8..

Perform system recovery and it also gives you option to backup your files..

This works if you have win8 preinstalled on the pc..
If you had any other OS then F11 will directly to system recovery..

It will reinstall the OS..

Revert back for any questions..
Clicking Kudos! Is a nice way to say Thank You if this helped you or resolved your problem. Also " Accept It As A Solution" so that others get a benefit from it..

- Aves..
HP Recommended

PLEASE READ>>>PLEASE READ IF YOUR USING A HP G6 WITH THE BLANK SCREEN/SCRAMBLING ISSUE THIS COULD HELP SAVE YOU REPLACING PARTS THAT ARE NOT BROKEN!!

Recently i had the exact same problem..... BUT! i think i have a FIX! in the case of the same issue as mine or similar, because i couldn't find anything on the net or any forums that exactly matched the issue i had, i used a bit of computer know how to figer it out..... anyway after following steps that wasn't helping with a blank screen! 2 days ago my Hp G6-1160sa was working fine i downloaded a game called world of war planes, played it, shut down the laptop and went to bed.

Next morning i wake up tried to switch on the laptop..... i hear all the relevant noises like the fan spinning upthe hard drive doing its thing, and the relevant lights on the caps lock and wifi light above the f12 key BUT A BLANK SCREEN!  (Bearing in mind in my case the backlight was on but just no colours to see but black)

i noticed a few seconds before i actually realised it wasnt booting up as normal there was few scrambles or lines but im unsure because i turned away expecting it to load as normal. but the more i rebooted it the more i noticed like the computer screen flashed like it would when it loaded the login screen and the windows logo and the noise was there but a blank screen.

ANYWAY...TRY WHAT I DID BECAUSE I SPENT ALL DAY TRYING TO FIGER IT OUT AND IM USING IT RITE NOW AS NORMAL!!!

First off if ur issue is like mine first thing you try do is isolate the problem so you can have a more specific idea of what the issue could be For example first thing i did was...

1. power off the laptop
  2. remove the battery
  3. i unscrewed the relevant screws to remove the plastic panel covering the ram and hard drive in my case and removed the cover carefully
  4. i unplugged my hard drive and powered on my laptop with the power cable to see what the response was on the screen because with hp laptops Ive done this by mistake a few times and had a response on the screen in writing if i remember correctly anyway you should see something!    I NEVER DID SAME PROBLEM
  5. i removed ram and alternated them leaving one in at a time now with the hard drive plugged back in powering on and off the laptop trying to see if it was one of the ram sticks where the fault lies BUT STILL SAME ISSUE POWERS ON HARD DRIVE SPINS UP FAN SPINS UP LIGHTS ON KEY BOARD DO THERE NORMAL THING BUT SCREEN IS BACK LIT BUT BLANK NO BEEPS OR ERROR NOISES OR INCORRECT RESPONSES TO STARTUP APART FROM THE SCREEN>>>  DECLARING ITS NOT LIKELY TO BE AND ISSUE WITH THE HARD DRIVE OR THE RAM...... 

NEXT i got my VGA cable plugged it in to my tv and the port on the left hand side of the laptop Powered on the tv and sourced it to pc and witched on the laptop usually at some point within the time it takes for you laptop to boot to login screen the t.v should pick it up>> IF YOU HAVE NOT SHUT DOWN THE LAPTOP LIKE ME BECAUSE OF THE SCREEN GIVE IT ABOUT 10 SECONDS after you switch on again AND HIT ENTER THE GETS YOU PAST THE WINDOWS YOU DID NOT SHUT DOWN PROPERLY START WINDOWS AS NORMAL SCREEN.

Then just wait if there's not a problem with your graphics card or any other underlying hardware the laptop will automatically detect the televisions input and you will see your login screen on the now plugged in tv as i did.

if not it most likely is a hardware issue most likely lcd, or the ribbons and cables that connect the lcd to the laptop or your graphics hardware

anyway i uninstalled the game still no change so i thought this could be a conflicting issue with the drivers or the sofwares/settings that control the graphics on the laptop lcd because surely i cant need  a new lcd it was perfectly fine and its back lit so clearly something isn't doing its job properly not broken.

after doing allot of un-helpful things i downloaded the relevant up to date graphics and bios drivers for my g6 model installed them and tried to see if they worked BUT THEY DID NOTHING

SO I WAS A BIT HEARTBROKEN AFTER ALL THAT SO WITH MY LAST ATTEMPT TO SALVAGE MY LAPPY AND SAVE SOME REPAIR MONEY I DID A HARD RESET FOR THE LAST TIME BY REMOVING THE BATTERY THE HARD DRIVE AND ALL OTHER ACCESSIBLE HARDWARE AND HOLDING THE POWER BUTTON FOR 30 SECONDS AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER!

After that I removed the battery unplugged all cables closed the laptop and left it of for the rest of the evening until the next afternoon bout 12- 15 hours give or take, in doing this you would completely drain the little flat battery that's on the motherboard killing all power and completely draining it. hoping that that would correct the underlying conflict that the drivers update didn't at first glance.........

NEXT AFTERNOON I SWITCHED ON AND I GOT THE (WINDOWS YOU DID NOT SHUT DOWN NORMALLY) WRITING UP AND THE WINDOWS LOGO FOR A FEW SECS BUT IT SCRAMBLED AND I HAD LINES AND DISTORTION UNTIL IT WENT BLANK AGEN SOO OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING CHANGED

EVERYTIME I REBOOTED IT I SAW THE SAME THING I SWITCHED IT OFF AS SOON AS IT WENT BLANK AGAIN TRYING TO SPARE THE PARTS OF ANY MORE STRAIN DURING THIS ISSUE IF THERE WAS A CHANCE TO FIX IT MYSELF.

I HIT THE POWER BUTTON AND TAPPED F8 AD IT WAS JUST BOOTING UP AND THE BOOT MENU APPEARED CRYSTAL CLEAR WITHOUT A ANY LINES OR DISTORTION I WAS SOO SHOCKED I LEFT IT LIKE THAT FOR ABOUT 10 MINS LOL 

THEN I WENT TO (START WINDOWS IN A LOWER RESOLUTION) HIT ENTER AND EVERYTHING STARTED AND WORKED PROPERLY FROM THERE ON IN A LOWER RESOLUTION AND A SLIGHTLY SMALLER SCREEN I LOGGED IN AND USED INTERNET AND EVERYTHING AS NORMAL WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS I THEN HAD THE HEART TO RESTART AND IM WRITING THIS NOW

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTION I WILL RESPOND AS SOON AS I POSSIBLY CAN (DONT GIVE UP SAVE YOURSELF SOME MONEY)

AND THE FEELING OF BEING AN IDIOT WHEN YOU FIND OUT THE DUDE THAT TOLD YOU I NEED TO REPLACE YOUR LCD ECT..JUST HAD A LITTLE TRIAL AND ERROR TILL HE FIXED IT WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING

HP Recommended

The issue was resolved in these following simple steps:

1. Switched off my laptop.

2. Removed the battery.

3. Started by laptop on charger cable only.

4. Added the battery once the laptop was on! 🙂

The issue was with the Windows 8 OS, I still have to face this issue sometimes.

HP Recommended
AfzzaalAhmad, thanks a lot for the tip. I had the same problem and it solved it perfectly ! Thanks !
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.