Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have recently purchased (2 days) the above laptop in Greece. Occasionally, for no obvious reason, whilst using the touchpad, I get an error sound and a large hand icon with a red line through it and the cursor freezes. It can only be cleared by standby and then reopen. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

most counsumer notebook touchpad leftside top corner has enable/disable switch for the touchpad. if you tap on that area it will enable and disable the touchpad. once disabled, you get hand with red line.

Please avoid pressing touchpad right top left side area as this is enabled as a switch.

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

most counsumer notebook touchpad leftside top corner has enable/disable switch for the touchpad. if you tap on that area it will enable and disable the touchpad. once disabled, you get hand with red line.

Please avoid pressing touchpad right top left side area as this is enabled as a switch.

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
HP Recommended

Have a new HP Elitebook 2170p.  Cannot use mouse or touchpad - all frozen.

Am getting the red line with the finger so I probably disabled touchpad but unsure.

Have tapped the touch pad in the left corner but still not working.

Please help me!!!!

HP Recommended

for 2170p, you may refer to document below which gives you location of touchpad on/off button on the PC.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14303_na/14303_na.pdf

that should help. to make switch work, you may need to install hotkey support application from hp.com(if not installed already).

Good Luck !!!!

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.