Question

Student
JimBrown257
Message 1 of 4 (8,371 Views)

Help: my laptop turns itself off when I unplug it...

Sometimes I unplug my laptop (HP Pavilion dv7-1132nr) and shut it to take it into the bedroom, so it's unplugged for only about 10 seconds. About half the time I do this, it turns itself off, even though the battery is fully charged.  The battery isn't loose and it isn't old and I have no problems with it.

It's not that it's "going to sleep"; it's turning off completely. When I turn it back on, I have to go through that black "windows shut down unexpectedly" screen and then enter my password to log onto my desktop.
Someone told me to check "Power options" and I did: it is set to "sleep" if I shut it; it isn't set to "shut off".

It is a pain because I have to restart my computer and find where I was. Also, it isn't good to turn the computer off without going to shut down or resart.

Does anyone know if there is a setting somewhere that I can tell my computer not to do this? I would imagine there is because it doesn't seem right that it should do this.
Thanks!
PhD Student
Knute
Message 2 of 4 (8,355 Views)

Re: Help: my laptop turns itself off when I unplug it...

You can test the battery by downloading the HP Battery Check program, the program is located here:

http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/battery_ts.htm

If that does not return an error, and your laptop is under warranty, consider having the laptop checked by a HP Authorized Service Center. The warranty can be checked here:

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/ewarranty/warrantyResults.do?admit=109447627+1286541891570+28353475

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Honor Student
    souydalay
    Message 3 of 4 (3,497 Views)

Did you get any more answers on this problem, I experience the same thing. I know it's not the battery, because after the crash I turned the computer unplugged back on and never crash again until the battery almost depleted and I then plugged it to charge.

Honor Student
    souydalay
    Message 4 of 4 (3,350 Views)

I experience the same problem when using HP recommended power option. After changing to power saver option, it

seems to fix it. I don't know why but it works for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation