Question

Tutor
redneckred
Message 1 of 3 (144 Views)

Help with HP DV5-1004nr Boot issues (beep codes)

I am helping a friend with her HP DV5-1004nr.  It goes through a cycle of beep codes at the start up which amount to 7,1,45 and then stops/freezes and does nothing else.  If I hit f8, I can get the machine to boot up into windows in safe mode under a guest account (she can't remember her password since it has been over 2 years since she started having problems with this machine doing this).  I can do almost everything I need in safe mode, but if I reboot, same error, HP splash screen and the beep codes and then it freezes.  I have ran recovery manager and tried a system restore before doing a recovery on the system, and still it hangs.  I can't find anything to tell me what the beep codes are, and I am confused as to why I can get the machine to run in safe mode but not in regular mode.  I did get it to boot to a guest account with the last known configuration.  I do not have access to the DVD drive on the machine, because it hasn't worked for a while.  Any ideas or suggestion?

Tutor
redneckred
Message 2 of 3 (131 Views)

Re: Help with HP DV5-1004nr Boot issues (beep codes)

Ok, now I am really perplexed.  If I boot the system using the f8 option, and then select boot windows normally, the machine will boot and run fine.  But, if I just let the machine boot up without selecting this, I get the beeps, which are now 6,2, and a long series of about 46 or so.  This doesn't make sense to me.  This, by the way, is after performing a recovery to factory new with the recovery partition.

Tutor
redneckred
Message 3 of 3 (126 Views)

Re: Help with HP DV5-1004nr Boot issues (beep codes)

Apparently there was something wrong with the windows partition.  After hitting the f8 key enough times and letting windows finish reloading a fresh install, the machine now boots like it should without hitting the f8 key, and I still don't know what the problem was or if it will come back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation