Question

Honor Student
yoyi3000
Message 1 of 7 (1,855 Views)

High CPU usage only on High Performance GPU

Im experiencing continous high CPU usage on my HP Pavilion dv7 laptop, but it only occurs when i switch to the high performance GPU.

Whenever i open a program like photoshop or by just surfing the internet, the CPU usage spikes to 90-100% and it stays there until i change the GPU to the Power Saving mode. Ive searched everywhere for an answer, but i haven't seen any problems similar to this.

Thanks in advance.

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 7 (1,841 Views)

Re: High CPU usage only on High Performance GPU

May i know why does this worry you?

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
yoyi3000
Message 3 of 7 (1,825 Views)

[ Edited ]

It is constantly at a high percentage and i cannot run any programs or applications because of the system running extremely slow. I always have to have it on the Power Saving mode.

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 4 of 7 (1,791 Views)

Does this happen when you are running the computer where ac adaptor is plugged in or is it when running battery?

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Student
ThePretender
Message 5 of 7 (1,650 Views)

Check your power settings in control panel. I bet in high performance mode your minimum CPU performance is set to something astronomical. Set it to a lower minimum state so it won't over tax itself all the time. Hope this helps! It took me two weeks to sort that one out, including many hours fighting with HP support over their recommendation to restore the system, and lose all my data and software. it was the ONLY thing I didn't see recommended anywhere. I changed that setting and it instantly became the machine I purchased it to be. Please post back if it works!
Honor Student
SSundead
Message 6 of 7 (1,194 Views)

Hi =) Whats the best performance setting for the Dv7 it just doesnt look like the machine its supossed to be even games with 3,4 years im having framerate problems = S Thank you = D

Student
tomneversfield
Message 7 of 7 (1,021 Views)

Thanks for the advice... this happens to me a lot and it's really frustrating...

Would you please describe how I can set the minimum cpu usage when on high performance in the control panel?

Thanks much

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation