How Many Compaq Presario C700 series laptops overheat and turn off upon booting? (9036 Views)
Student
Aria
Message 1 of 9 (9,036 Views)

How Many Compaq Presario C700 series laptops overheat and turn off upon booting?

...just wondering. I received a recall email about the battery. Apparently my battery doesn't qualify. However I'm just wondering when HP will open their eyes and see the cheap parts are destroying customer satisfaction.

Anyone else experiece overheating to the point of not making it past booting?

...all mirth and no matter.
PhD Student
Knute
Message 2 of 9 (9,022 Views)

Re: How Many Compaq Presario C700 series laptops overheat and turn off upon booting?

Many times a laptop overheating is directly related to the cooling of the processor. The main culprit is the fan. The fan sucks in air from the bottom and blows it out the side. It will also suck in hair, dust, and other debris. That stuff often gets trapped by the heat sink and over time builds up in a layer which chokes off the cool air going to the processor making the fan work harder.

What I recommend is getting some canned air and blowing out the vents in the side and bottom of the laptop. If after doing this you still have problems with over-heating, and your laptop is in warranty, you can take your laptop to a HP Authorized Service Center and ask them to clean the fan and heatsink. You can check your warranty here:

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/ewarranty/warrantyResults.do?admit=109447627+1286541891570+28353475

If it is out of warranty, consider searching for the maintenance manual for your specific model, in the manual there are schematics for taking apart the laptop. Cleaning the fan is much easier that removing a motherboard, so don't feel to intimidated by the idea. Also you can remove the heatsink and then remove the thermal grease and apply a new layer which also helps alleviate heat related issues.

I hope this helps. If you like my advice and it works for you, please thank me by clicking the Kudos Star under my screen name, thanks!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Student
    aighaid
    Message 3 of 9 (8,626 Views)

Re: How Many Compaq Presario C700 series laptops overheat and turn off upon booting?

Mine does, although it only does it after it has overheated and shut down.  Then I can't restart it until it cools off, or it keeps shutting down.  I also cannot use it without a cooling tray.  Fry's Electronics sold it to me without telling me anything they knew about it--when I brought it back, they laughed when I told them what was going on--and said there was nothing I could do about it.  So much for the two-year maintenance agreement they sold me.  HP told me to buy a cooling tray.  I won't buy another HP product without using it first--extensively.  I'm leaning toward Dell, now.  Another family member has one and I can't even tell when it's on--it's so cool and quiet.

Honor Student
    hpcraps
    Message 4 of 9 (8,585 Views)

Mine does and I am left with no support or warranty, as HP even refuses to attend to the problem. Have taken it up with all support centers and am one BIG UNSATISFIED HP USER. ONE RESOLVE.... NEVER TO BUY HP PRODUCTS AGAIN (EXCEPT FOR PRINTERS).

Student
    smithany
    Message 5 of 9 (8,261 Views)

Mine started overheating and cutting out when it was conveniently just out of the warranty period. It does it when I watch movies or play any kind of game, and the fan constantly roars, even if I'm just using it for word processing. They should just recall the whole line, as when I googled the problem I found countless complaints about the same thing.

My mum's old Presario (V2000) copes a lot better!

Student
    zoglet
    Message 6 of 9 (7,457 Views)

Mine overheats, the fan is constantly on & it also switches itself off, which is really frustrating,  HP have also said there is nothing wrong with the battery, and seemed to have wiped theirs hands off it!!

Honor Student
    gpharman
    Message 7 of 9 (2,261 Views)

Same issues here.  My battery even matches the portion shown on the battery chart.  Every character shown matches and they say it doesn't qualify, yet my laptop will burn you when turned on (while it stays on that is).  They won't replace my battery even though all of the characters match.  I have cleaned the fans taking entire laptop apart, still overheats.  I guess suing them is the only way to get HP to fix a lemon.  I am going to sue for the burns I get while having the laptop on my lap I guess.  HP won't help you unless money is involved.  HP used to stand for something, now it stands for getting ripped off.  They work just long enough to get past warranty by a few months.  I will make sure I and everyone I come in contact with in my computer repair business never buys another one.  I can assure you of that, seeing as how HP doesn't wan't to do the right thing and fix the issues or replace the laptops.  HP is a joke now.

Regents Professor
    Cloud_Strider
    Message 8 of 9 (2,210 Views)

@gpharman,

I have raised this post to the appropriate team for review.  Someone should contact you via private message, but it may take up to two days.  Private messages can be checked by signing in and clicking on the envelope icon at the top of the page.

Signature
    ↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
    Honor Student
    gpharman
    Message 9 of 9 (2,195 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mine overheats as well and despite matching the characters shown on the website, the ones that they didn't show apparantly disqualified it.  I am going to try replacing the heatsink.  It is the only option left seeing as how HP won't offer any real support.  [Content Removed].  HP IS NOT AN HONEST COMPANY.  NEVER BUY HP PRODUCTS AGAIN.  They will not do what is right.  They only care about their bottom line[Content Removed].  Maybe they will understand that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation