Question

Honor Student
dawnrager
Message 1 of 36 (48,083 Views)

How do you unlock the keyboard on the Pavilion g7-1167 dx Notebook PC?

I just puchased the Pavilion g7-1167 dx Notebook PC and I love it, but I somehow keep locking up my keyboard.  I think I'm accidentally hitting a Function key or something.  The curser continues to blink, but I can't type anything.  I'm really frustrated.  I went online to get a list of the Function Keys for the keyboard, but I didn't find anything helpful.  The laptop is brand new (about 2 weeks old) and it's using Windows 7.  Can anyone advise?

Thank you,

Dawn

Master's Graduate
viki9324
Message 2 of 36 (48,078 Views)

Re: How do you unlock the keyboard on the Pavilion g7-1167 dx Notebook PC?

Normally you dont get a manual with com. If you want to download the manual for this particular notebook ..you just hav to login to SUpport.hp.com and just enter your 7 digit product no which is inside the vattery compartment and try to download the MAnual

Good Luck

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 3 of 36 (48,073 Views)

The manuals can be found here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5145843&task=&

Also, what happens when you mean keyboard gets locked up? Does it stop responding or is it typing incorrect/junk characters

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
dawnrager
Message 4 of 36 (48,045 Views)

Thanks for the link!

My laptop seems to freeze up and when I try to type, I don't get anything (no symbols or anything).  It's very strange.  That's why I'm thinking I'm somehow bumping a HOT KEY or something...

Thanks,

Dawn

Master's Graduate
viki9324
Message 5 of 36 (48,043 Views)

Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager from within Windows 7
If the PC can be started and opens to the Windows desktop, you can use the HP Recovery Manager on the hard drive to restore the PC to the original factory condition by following the steps below.
  1. Click Start and enter Recovery in the search field. Select Recovery Manager from the list when it becomes available. Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.
    Alternately, click Start , All Programs , Recovery Manager , and then Recovery Manager . Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.
  2. Click System recovery . The PC will restart and reopen the Recovery Manager.
  3. When the PC restarts, select the System recovery option and click Next .
  4. If prompted to use the Microsoft System Restore program, click No , and then click Next .
  5. When prompted, if you want to backup your personal files and settings, select the Back up your files first (recommended) option, and then click Next . Follow the on-screen instructions.
  6. When prompted to Recover without backing up your files , please STOP before clicking Next .
    WARNING:This is the final opportunity to change your mind about recovering the PC and deleting all the files and programs. Once you click Next , the restore process cannot be stopped.
  7. If you are satisfied that you want to begin the recover process, click Next . The PC immediately begins formatting the hard drive and destroying all data.
The recovery process may take up to several hours and will return the PC to its original condition. Any custom settings, drivers, software programs and updates, and/or hardware updates are lost and must be reinstalled.

Restore the PC to its original condition using the f11 key if Windows 7 is not accessible
If the PC cannot launch into Windows, it may still be possible to use the HP Recovery Manager on the hard drive to restore the computer to its original operating condition. The Recovery Manager can be launched during the startup process by following the steps below.
  1. Press the Power button to start the PC, and then press the f11 key when the standard BIOS prompts are displayed on the black screen.
    NOTE:Pressing the f11 key during startup on a computer with an HP factory image will start the system recovery process even if the prompt is not displayed.

2. If the HP Recovery Manager can access the recovery partition on the hard drive, a prompt to backup the user files before beginning the recovery is displayed. Follow any on-screen instructions.
  3. If the HP Recovery Manager cannot access the hard drive to fix any system errors, you will need to use the personalized recovery disc that you created to recover the hard drive to its original condition.
  4. If you have not created the personalized recovery disc, or the discs are corrupted, you can order a replacement recovery disc from HP.
  5. When the Recovery Manager starts, follow the step-by-step system recovery instructions shown above.
****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Student
nae1073
Message 6 of 36 (47,521 Views)

did you get any answers.. this keeps happening to me and its driving me crazy!

Thank you

Renee'

Honor Student
dawnrager
Message 7 of 36 (47,391 Views)

I've only been having this problem every so often these days... I try to log off and then re-log on (which sometimes helps).  I'm not sure what's going on exactly.  Very strange indeed!  I usually just shut it completely down and re-start when all else fails (but I know that can be risky, too).  Take a look at some of the responses I received thus far and see if any of those helps you.  Good luck!

Honor Student
mbasa217
Message 8 of 36 (46,756 Views)

i just started to have the same problem with my g7 notebook.  keyboard works at the login page but not after Windows starts up.  have you tried system restore yet?

Honor Student
Robertech2
Message 9 of 36 (46,210 Views)

I have the same problem. Rebooting fixes it. Restore is not necessary. There has to be a combination of keys that loks the keyboard. keeps happening to me too. Some keys do alternate functions, but most no longer work. Once again, it can be fixed by a reboot.
Student
CJT1
Message 10 of 36 (46,168 Views)

I also have the HP Pavillion g7.  The sudden loss of keyboard used to be just once in a while but getting to be every day - at least once.  About the time I get multiple windows, work on blog, Photoshop, skype and onto the remote desktop at work  - then the keyboard is deaf and mute. Thankfully the touchpad still works so can exit everything. Yes - resetting does work but to close all and reopen eats time now that it is getting SO OFTEN. 

I agree must be a combination of keystrokes to invoke this problem - and restoring... if I had installed any programs that might work but a long time since i did that.  I would have to go back to factory - EEEK! I would like to avoid that. 

Has anyone had any luck with solution?  Has restoring worked for anyone else?

Thx

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation