Question
How many HP Pavillion customers have the Black Screen Problem?
Replies (266)

Honor Student
anmshane
Message 221 of 267 (1,088 Views)

Re: How many HP Pavillion customers have the Black Screen Problem?

Well, my DV7 finally gave me the blackscreen of death. WIthout warning the screen suddenly turns black and the computer locks up.

I can restart it by turning power off, and then booting up but it's extremely frustrating. This laptop has given me little problems since I got in 2009 (keyboard sometimes doesn't always function right, had network issues, etc) but this is the final straw for me.

From what I've read, HP won't be much help when solving this problem. If I cannot get this issue fixed I will never buy another HP again, and will ensure that no one I know purchases an HP product.

Honor Student
ja57
Message 222 of 267 (1,043 Views)

my dv2500 has black screen, had an extended warrentee that ended of course. Not sure what is wrong with my computer.

Honor Student
RJStephens
Message 223 of 267 (1,036 Views)

ME!

Honor Student
RJStephens
Message 224 of 267 (1,034 Views)

This will be the 3rd time mine has been sent in for repair.

Student
WeAreGetInErDun
Message 225 of 267 (919 Views)

Hello, I don't understand what you are saying about using a heat gun.  Are you able to take a video or explain in basic detail how to fix this black screen problem I have as of today?  This part "pulled the motherboard out and made an alloy template to fit around the GPU, used a heat gun (2 cm away from the GPU going in a circular motion) at 220 deg for 3 mins and then 300 deg for another 3 mins".  Where do I find the alloy and the heat gun?  Thank you.

rb7 Top Student
Top Student
rb7
Message 226 of 267 (897 Views)

count me in..dv6t-4000...if i get it to boot up.works fine has all the updates..turn it off and pull the plug.it will not turn back on..BLACK SCREEN...i tried anything and everything to make it work...i just bought a new battery,new kingston memory kvr1333d3s9,new hard drive..going back to a p4 with no troubles.

i tried

pull everything out...try lower memory slot,then top one

hard drive with i stick of momery.lower then top

pull the motherboard battery..waited-put back in.restart..nothing

no battery-useing power adapter.press on..black screen.hold down power botton 20 sec pull out adapter

press on pull adapter out ,some time it will boot up with time and date wrong or if i let it sit for a week in corner.

I DON'T WANT TO GO THOUGH THIS EVERY TIME I WANT TO USE IT

Tutor
pastcustomer
Message 227 of 267 (848 Views)

Re: How many HP Pavilion customers have the Black Screen Problem?

(Re: How many HP Pavilion customers have the Black Screen Problem?)

I have one!

How do I know?

Let me start out by saying my HP Pavilion laptop (which is now several years old) was never on the recall list.  So one might ask how can I be sure I have an HP Nvidia BGA thermal failure?

Well, I know because I have re-flowed BGA (that stands for Ball Grid Array) packages before.  When I performed the operation on my HP pavilion it came back to life for several months.  I have repeated the procedure 4 times now getting about a year's worth of operation out the the HP Pavilion Laptop.  (Which has currently failed yet again.) This is a very invasive procedure requiring a complete tear down.  I am afraid the laptop may not survive another re-flow.  What really needs to be done is a procedure commonly referred to as a re-balling.  This is where the Nvidia chip is removed, cleaned and new solder balls are used to re-flow the Nvidia chip back onto the PCB.  Most want about $100 for this procedure.  That puts into question if it is not better just to buy a new computer.

Well, since then I have bought about 4 more new HP laptops.  So far one of them has failed 1 day out of the box and another 18 days out of the box. 

That is a 50% failure rate. 

Holy cow what does that tell you?

Tutor
pastcustomer
Message 228 of 267 (846 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ug, I thought "quick replay" would be a replay to that particular post.  Ok, so all replays go at the end of the thread.  Humm, ...so, the following is in response to someone who posted last week in this thread asking "what is a heat gun" and other questions which make one think that person should probably not try re-flowing the GPU chip on their own...

These are basic questions - so I am reluctant in advising you to proceed. The type of heat gun used is for electrical engineering purposes. It will get hot enough to melt solder! I used foil paper about 6 sheets thick to create a thermal shield. You have to take just about everything out of the computer to isolate the mother board. It takes me about 2 hours to tear apart, re-flow the GPU and put back together the laptop. Are you sure you can do this?

By the way, this is such a common HP problem and HP (at least at one time was) is such a popular branding that I believe there exists several youtube.com videos showing you how to do this.  Note, we are talking about re-flowing here.  That is, leave the GPU attached to the board.  Re-balling is when you remove and clean the chip.  Not many have the equipment for that!

Honor Student
tigshlep
Message 229 of 267 (842 Views)

Count me too! So frustrating. I dislike computers and man's reliance on technology. 

Student
yankee4evr
Message 230 of 267 (784 Views)

[ Edited ]

I also have an Hp Pavilian dv7-1260us with the black sceen that dont work as well they tell me it the motherbroad it also cost to fixes $400.00+ dont khow what to do [Legal Discussion Removed]. I paid 1700. for this laptop 3years ago.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation