Re: How many HP Pavillion customers have the Black Screen Problem? (230 Views)
Honor Student
shacera
Message 261 of 267 (253 Views)

Re: How many HP Pavillion customers have the Black Screen Problem?

hello i have a hp pavillion dv7 laptop and when i turn it on my screen is black,noting comes up apart from the blinking caps lock and the other little keys like volume one etc soo can someone pls help me because i really need the stuff thats on the laptop.

Tutor
pastcustomer
Message 262 of 267 (246 Views)

I think more customers (like me) frequent this forum if you were wondering.

If you have a temperature related GPU problem (as some (most?) here do) your HDD is probably fine.  Depending on your expertise, the operating system, your budget, how much time you have and your resourcefulness you can probably do almost anything from buying a new laptop and having someone transfer your data to pulling the HDD out your self and pulling the data you need from it using a working desktop computer.  Of course you can try to get your laptop repaired.  But I think most here have experienced out of warranty repairs costs are close to replacement costs.  These are all just opinions.  If it were me I would try the easiest and least expensive route first. For example, if the laptop is under warranty take it in for repairs.

...i really need the stuff thats on the laptop.

Then, if you do take it in for repairs, you probably want to be sure they will attempt to recover your data.

Honor Student
shacera
Message 263 of 267 (244 Views)

it is not under warranty,it was giving to me because someone didn't want it anymore and i think the person had it for about 3 years,when i got it i had no problem and the all of a sudden i try to turn it on and the screen is just black,i have tried everything that i see people put down when other people have the same problem but nothing happens,i don't really know anything about laptops and the laptop also came from america
Tutor
pastcustomer
Message 264 of 267 (241 Views)

What I said has not changed.  You have to decide what you want to do.  All I can tell you is what I did.  And you would have to asses the situation and decide what is best for you.  I feel very comfortable taking apart a laptop.  I completely took my laptop apart, made a heat shield out of aluminum, removed the gunk around the Nvidia GPU BGA chip that HP hand placed there, added a few drops of liquid rosin and heat treated the Nvidia GPU BGA with a heat gun from a specific distance for a specific amount of time.  I thought my chances for success were about 1 in 10.  To my great surprised it worked.  But only for a few months.  I repeated this procedure with the same success about 4 more times.  After the last time I had had enough and bought a new laptop.  QED.

BTW, even though it is obvious this HP laptop suffered from the heat related GPU failure that plagued HP laptops from years ago (and is the reason for the existence of this thread), it was never on the HP recall-list.  You might try to see if your laptop is on the recall list.  That is, if HP is still honoring the recall.

Honor Student
shacera
Message 265 of 267 (236 Views)

oh ok then thank u
Honor Student
csernica
Message 266 of 267 (230 Views)

Shacera, when I had the black screen problem I ended up just chucking the machine, which was out of warranty and a repair would not have been worth the cost. BUT -- I bought an external USB enclosure for the HDD, which was itself just fine. Those are dirt cheap; about $20.  My wife was able to simply copy all her files off the old disk onto the new, and now she has an external HDD she can use for backup.

So no matter what, your data is likely safe.

Honor Student
BigG7
Message 267 of 267 (27 Views)

I have the hp black screen of death. Lord Vader from HP at work again. PC is going away to be fixed but my machine is only 12 weeks old. I'm loosing 2 days consulting fees and placed in an embarrassing position with being behind with a customer.Here's a shocker, no response from HP, no help from HP.

Well done HP you've lost another customer for the next computer in 2 years time and I'll tell everyone about my problems so hopefully a few more potential customers lost. I have also written to which magazine and written some reviews.

Thanks for all the help HP.................................NOT !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation