Hp Pavilion dv4 1225dx wont power on!!? (16291 Views)
Student
acwalker03
Message 1 of 13 (16,291 Views)

Hp Pavilion dv4 1225dx wont power on!!?

[ Edited ]

I contacted HP and they sent me a new AC CORD thinking that was the problem ( day before my Warrent ran out) That wasnt the problem cause it still wont power on. They had me remove the Memory and reinsert it and that didnt help either. Now there saying there may not be anything else they can do for me cause the warrenty has ran out. HELP what is wrong with my laptop and what can i do to fix it without having to spend alot of money!?

Top Student
mfilpot
Message 2 of 13 (16,261 Views)

Re: Hp Pavilion dv4 1225dx wont power on!!?

Are you getting any fan or light activity when you attempt to boot the system?

Also, are you having problems when it is running on the battery and the AC adapter?

Tutor
tim_nz
Message 3 of 13 (16,248 Views)

sounds like it could possibly be broken solder joints to the ac outlet.

i have soldered back together countless of laptops with this problem, it happens because that area generates alot of heat from the power and softens the solder joints. expensive repair.

again this is ONLY if the laptop does not power on, as in no lights or fan or nothing.

hope this helps

Top Student
Nicci1976
Message 4 of 13 (15,729 Views)

I know this is late but if the lights are coming on and the fan is running...your motherboard is burned out due to overheating...I have the same model and that's what happened to mine...they told me almost $400 to fix it! 

Tutor
SkillageDan
Message 5 of 13 (15,726 Views)

Hi,

Unfortunately this cannotbbe fixed cheaply. Your rpoblem is a fried motherbard, I have it too. Unless you want to open the laptop up youself and replace the motherboard and fan yourself, then you wll have to ask a repair man to do that because there is no other way.

Hope this has been helpful. Hopefully my tag appears below (I changed the settings for my account and I haven't seen if it works yet).

SkillageDan XD
Top Student
Ryan5153
Message 6 of 13 (15,610 Views)

Yeah, I had some recent problems with my same model of laptop, starting the day after the warranty expired, of course.

With mine, the fan was jammed with hair and dust, which kept it from cooling it.  If it overheated and shut itself off, I had to wait for it to cool, otherwise it'd shut down again.  Because the way the computer's built, I think you'll have to take the whole thing apart to replace the fan.

But if that is your problem, you might be able to slowly pry up the clog using a needle in the fan grate.  Since I did this, it runs cooler and much more quietly.  The fact I'm able to post this right now is proof of that.

A cooling pad has also helped me, especially since the fan on this thing is too easily covered if laid flat.

Student
cvandevoort
Message 7 of 13 (13,101 Views)

Same problem, the tech said this happened with other models... but no recall with this one.  I will never buy another HP product in my life.  Lasted less than 2 years.  Looks like Apple with get another customer.

Tutor
Agustin
Message 8 of 13 (13,099 Views)

Same problem here, except I have a dv4 1428dx model :/ Last time I buy an HP computer.

Student
smallbizowner
Message 9 of 13 (12,690 Views)

I had the same problem with my Pavilion dv4:  won't turn on with new battery and ac adapter.  I am so disappointed with hp because this computer has caused me nothing but problems.  The battery died after a year, the touchpad doesnt work, and now the computer itself will not boot.  These are all well documented issues. The computer hasn't lasted a full 18 months and now it is useless - terrible quality! I have purchased Toshibas my entire life and they all lasted 4 years before I sold them or gave them away.  It looks like I am going back to Toshiba, never to buy another hp product again.

Student
codepop
Message 10 of 13 (12,488 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same problem for my son's computer.  I have bought at least 6 hp desktops and probably that many hp printers as well over the years without incident.  I bought my son a hp laptop for college and shortly after the warranty went out so did the computer.  After reading the numerous posts from hp customers on this site and other sites talking about the same shoddy equipment with the same problem and HP not stepping up to take care of their customers,  HP upper management should be all over this.  Wasn't this just in the news...oh wait that was the car companies not fixing their product.  I do not see why anyone would purchase HP equipment given the lack of after-the-sale support.  I know I won't..   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation