Question

Top Student
Ryius
Message 1 of 15 (9,543 Views)

Hp Pavilion dv7 shut down

I have an hp pavilion dv7, the issue i have is that after 5 min it will just shut down, and stay off for a couple of hours before im able to turn it back on, but it will do the same thing again. Also occasionally when i start it up, it will tell me there is a problem starting windows and to run the repair tool, which i do, and then says its a problem that cant be fixed through repair tools, and to run a system restore to an earlier point, i do that and it starts up fine and then shuts down as soon as it through the post test and windows boots up. I would like to know what could be the possible issue with this is and if there is anything i can do to fix it.

Ryius

Top Student
Ryius
Message 2 of 15 (9,521 Views)

Re: Hp Pavilion dv7 shut down

When I plug a new battery in, it works fine till i put the power cord in, then it shuts down in 5 min. Please help

PhD Student
Knute
Message 3 of 15 (9,478 Views)

So it sounds like it could be the AC Adapter then?  Contact HP and have a replacement sent to you and see if that resolves the issue.

Warranty:

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/ewarranty/warrantyResults.do?admit=109447627+1286541891570+28353475

Contact HP

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Top Student
    Ryius
    Message 4 of 15 (9,464 Views)

I tried another adapter, and still had the same problem, is there a way that a connection or something is messed up where it plugs into the laptop that could cause it do that? to where the entire system just doesnt turn on for a couple hours?

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 5 of 15 (9,459 Views)

Have you checked to see if the BIOS is current?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Top Student
    Ryius
    Message 6 of 15 (9,407 Views)

I tried to go into the esc menu to check out the settings when i was booting it up, but it shuts down for at least 2 hours before letting me boot it up again and then repeats. it wont stay up long enough for me to get any useful information from it. Would a bios update be causing this or something else?

Ryios

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 7 of 15 (9,355 Views)

Wow, is there any external hardware attached?  If so try removing it, also try removing the hard drive and see if that makes a difference.  If not I am going to chalk it up to a bad system board.  (a BIOS update could help, but it is a moot point if the machine wont stay on long enough to update it.)

• Top Student
    Ryius
    Message 8 of 15 (9,347 Views)

Nothing else is attached to it. It just shuts down withing seconds of me starting it up, even if i try safe mode it still shuts down immediately.

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 9 of 15 (9,343 Views)

Contact HP and have the System Board replaced.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

• Honor Student
    dv7user
    Message 10 of 15 (8,651 Views)

I had the same issue and after trying many things, I learned from hp support and some other folks that the power socket is loose. Therefore the phenomena is random. So I had my dv7-1183 cl system board replaced. The problem went away for few weeks, then  it reappeared but it's less frequent now. Also, I realised that the problem is sometimes reproducible if you try to remove the AC power and move the laptop around. 

Earlier today I ran into same issue after I had to shift the laptop. After moving, it started shutting screen down after few minutes and then comes back to "resume windows" screen once I try to start it using the power button.

So I  air dusted the socket, plugged AC back into socket, and restarted the computer. So it's working OK for many hours now without blanking out or shutting down randomly.  As long as I dont move the laptop and AC adapter around too much, it should be ok.

I thought I should post this for the benefit of others who could have same issue and end up wasting many hours trying to reinstall drivers or BIOS etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation