Question
Hp pavilion dv6 overheating really quickly.
Replies (95)

Tutor
rcheli32
Message 81 of 96 (1,878 Views)

Re: Simple fix - Re: Hp pavilion dv6 overheating really quickly - Simple fix

You pin the fan by inserting a pin (or thin screw driver or something) down through the cooling slots where you can see the fan, between the fins on the fan. This prevents the fan from turning. If you fail to pin the fan the high velocity air from an air compressor or vacuum cleaner spins the fan around, and spins it way faster than it is designed for. You can destroy the bushing in the fan in just a few seconds because they quickly overheat.

Top Student
rozjan07
Message 82 of 96 (1,866 Views)

Re: Hp pavilion dv6 overheating really quickly.

Best of luck!  

My Pavillion completely fritzed on me, getting so hot it fried my graphic card.  The screen is only half visible and then greys out after a few minutes.  Not worth repairing - so now it sits in the cupboard until I wipe the harddrive before I throw it on the junk-heap where it deservedly needs to be.

HP have really not helped at all with this problem which has been so well documented by some many complaining buyers.  They have just taken the money and run. 

Obviously when I bought a new laptop and desktop HP were not a considered option, as once bitten twice shy!   This should be a word of warning to any people considering buying any HP product.  Just don't!!

Honor Student
skywat
Message 83 of 96 (1,859 Views)

I couldn't deal with the heat issue anymore.  I trashed my HP laptop and bought a Dell.  HP may have other good products but because of their total lack of customer service I'm through them.  Never again HP!!!

Intern
rambotrader
Message 84 of 96 (1,848 Views)

I am in agreement and will not buy another HP as I also am of the opinion that a company which abandons its customers do not deserve a second bite at the cherry.  HP is destined to die and be replaced by a company which gives a **bleep**. 

Intern
rambotrader
Message 85 of 96 (1,845 Views)

[ Edited ]

No comment.

Top Student
dnomad
Message 86 of 96 (1,805 Views)

ok so many people have had this problem, ill try to give you the best option since hp refuses to acknowledge the fact they manufactured the computer in such a way that they cant actually fix it without physically making the laptop have more space to breathe inside the case. they cant realistically afford to remake every computer they sold so its in our hands now.

since i bought this computer it has been overheating anytime i stress it.

the laptop preforms amazingly when it isnt under pressure, and when it is and its kept cool, preforms amazingly.

after a few months of diablo and league, the laptop just started burning my hand because of how hot it was getting and i was afraid of it overheating to the point of dieing.

i took precautions that have saved the computer, here they are

i bought a cooling fan to sit my laptop on, open grill concept so they fans can be situated anywhere without having airflow restricted. that didnt work completely though.

i physically had to remove the plastic grill on the case to open the airflow to the fans as well. i actually learned of this from a similar forum and it worked.

with the combination of the two it seems to give the computer enough improved airflow to keep the computer just cool enough to stay out of the RED ZONE.

i set my graphics to high on diablo 3 and league, as well as other more intensive games like ESO beta and it gets hot, no lie, but it does preform perfectly now with no crazy hand burning or graphical lagging.

in the end HP messed up in the actual physical design, didnt take into account the amount of space inside the laptop for airflow, AND put the components that heat up all too close to each other. poor design = poor company, but mistakes get made and we get to pay for it because they dont care. period.

Intern
rambotrader
Message 87 of 96 (1,800 Views)

And  the result is that like myself and countless thousands of other consumers WE WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER HP MACHINE.  This is how it works and how bad companies end up going belly up.  I predict that HP will end up this way.

PhD Student
DerekQ
Message 88 of 96 (1,793 Views)

Perhaps you guys could try the Coolsense setting.

Perhaps you guys could try buying a can of compressed gas.

Perhaps you guys could try taking it apart.

Sorry because of different timezone I might not be able to help/reply you right away.IF that happens I deeply apologize!
**Click the White thumb if you like the answer.**
**Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem and only solves your problem, if you have any more questions please ask, this also helps others to solve related issues.**
Feel yourself like home here, we are all happy to help, if you have an question reply or start a topic or pm me or an expert.
Intern
rambotrader
Message 89 of 96 (1,789 Views)

Ok I get the jibe but there are so many people with the same problem. 

I had to jettison my Firefox browser as it has a personality problem with Adobe Flash and I know that this causes a heating issue with the dv6.  But despite pulling the cover off and vacuuming it out, as well as blowing air through, the problem is still there when you have multiple tabs open. 

In all of this what is of greatest concern is that HP does not look into the issue and post a fix.  Customers are simply written off and forgotten....so they do not return.

Honor Student
TeKola
Message 90 of 96 (1,218 Views)

I'll add myself to this list. HP notebooks won't last if they run constantly and burning hot. I have dv6 as well. Nothing helps. Someone needs to sue for burns sustained from touching bottom of notebook. I will never personally buy HP again. Unfortunately, my employer won't budge on this.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation