Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hello.

I have a hp pavilion dv4 model, which today, out of sudden, stopped booting. Though the lights are on (power, touchpad, etc), it only shows a black screen. No sound coming from hd or fan. The scroll and caps lock LEDs keep blinking, they don't stop ( I already checked the led code table And this is none of them). I already hard reseted it. Anything else I can do?
24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Just saw another person with this problem. The led sequence indicates insufficient power:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

Check your battery. Try to boot without the battery installed. Try a different plug (wall outlet).

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

HP Recommended
Hi danjen, thanks for answering. I already tried these and it still doesn't work. Actually just after you press the power button the hd and fan start spinning but stop shortly after.
HP Recommended

Still thinking about it but in the mean time, try running it on just one memory chip at a time.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

HP Recommended
That's something possible, I had problems with memory in this computer before. I don't have a wrench to open the computer right now, is there are way of doing it without opening it?
HP Recommended

The memory is usually under a plastic rectangle on the back of the notebook. You usually use a small phillips screwdriver to remove the screws and plastic plate. Once the memory is exposed, you move the clips to the sides and rock the memory chip forward.

HP Recommended
Hi, just tried that and again same thing happened. I tried even turning the computer on with no memory card at all to see if a new thing could happen (a blue screen or an error message) and still I got the black screen and constantly blinking LEDs.
HP Recommended

I'm having a similar problem - I press the power button and the led on the front blinks 3 times and nothing happens.  No hard drive spinning, no fan.  I tried the power reset and reseating the memory modules, still same result.  Any ideas?

HP Recommended

same case on my laptop , any feedback recieved yet ! plz. do reply in our case anyoneeeee there ? . tnx so much 

HP Recommended

Here is a video on one of the most common problems of the DV series up to the 9000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDYWFyD04xs&feature=player_detailpage#t=2s

In all of your cases, I think this is what will have to be done.  This particular video is done crudely with a torch and I would recommend a shop that uses an actual reflow station with controlled temperature profiles. At the very least a heatgun with temperature control.

Here is another video that does show a slightly different problem than is described here but at the very end, it scrolls real fast a standard answer I have read here before for trying to get your video back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDYWFyD04xs&feature=player_detailpage#t=5s

It reads:

The screen might work again if you:

- Disconnect the power cord & remove the battery

- Wait 2 minutes then disconnect power cord.

-Press and hold the power button for 45 seconds.

- Press power button to turn on laptop. The LCD should work at this point.

I have found that if it is the video chip, this will not work for long.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.