Question

Honor Student
Baugher117
Message 1 of 7 (1,576 Views)

Huge problems with Pavilion dv7-1260us

Well where do I start? Well I keep getting the 1 blink error code (which indicates that there is something wrong with the CPU) and I keep getting the 3 (Memory Module error not functional),4 (Graphics controller not functional), and 5 (General system board failure) error codes. But if I'm lucky the HP logo shows up! So I have re-installed Windows 7 many times, and it works sometimes for about two days or even a few hours. What happens is the screen get all jittery like the laptop is going to explode! But no, it just goes to a blank black screen. Someone please help me I'm about to go outside and shoot till there is nothing left! I have been dealing with this ever since last summer. (And yes guys I 'am getting the right GPU drivers from ATI.)

There, sorry I'm really mad about this because this cost me about $1,000. Again some one please help me!

Top Student
graffis42
Message 2 of 7 (1,559 Views)

Re: Huge problems with Pavilion dv7-1260us

sorry to hear about your problem. i have fixed several dv models. most of them have had the nvidia gpu problem. wich will in fact contribute to tons of other problems. wirless stops working, no video, wont turn on at all, and shuts off when you press on the right side of the key board. i don't know how much know about the hardware but i would start with heating up the gpu to sink it back into the mother board. they also have a problem with the ribbons that go from the mother board to the power and multimedia buttons. and also the metalic tape they use on the wifi antenas will sometimes cause problems. hope this helps.

Honor Student
p990i
Message 3 of 7 (1,537 Views)

my cq40-416au, have error like that... what do you use to heat up the gpu ???

sorry for my bad english,,,,

Top Student
Xabyte
Message 4 of 7 (1,103 Views)

Surprised there are only a few posts on this issue.  I purchase a DV 9 series HP laptop in 2008 that suffered a similar fate as this.  Although not as erratic as that it was obviously the same issue of a faulty NVidia GPU driver. The problem is widespread across several HP models the DV 7  and DV 9 for sure (I Have had first had experience with both these models.  With the DV 9 my own personal laptop, the problem occured about 2 or 3 years into ownership.  The OS (new released Vista at the time) was riddled with problems to begin with, having two or three BSOD's per day until one day I wrote to Microsoft for a Hotfix which effectively solved that problem.  The BSOD was always the same SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.....in short, a driver that was to accept an hand off function from another application failed to respond in the appropriate manner leading to a shut down.  But this had nothing to do with the final demise of the unit.  Following the installation of the Hotfix I had little or no issues with this problem again.

The GPU issue began abruptly and the characteristic signs were:  Excessive heating, hyper threading of the CPU and constant fan accelleration due to the excessive heating, and finally a black screen.  The black screen would not start out blank.  I would get the HP splash screen sometime, but usually the screen would light up britghtly almost white then in a series of rainbow colored vertical lines it would morph slowly to a totally black screen..  For a while repeated attempts to reboot would eventually yield a reboot, but eventually with the constant overheating, and cooling cycle the Mobo and the GPU were degraded and and the unit would start but the Graphics Processor in degradation failed to display a valid signal.

The DV 7 Models display similar symptoms according to several good sources.  A friend of mine just recently returned one yet under warranty for a video failure scenario.......aka a black screen.....  I am currrently repairing a DV 7 for a friend that has a bad battery.  He is complaining of excessive heating as well.  I upgraded the unit to Windows 7 back in January after a hard drive crash.  I am using the unit to post to this forum.  I am not convinced of the overheating, I think it is a matter of a block vent and fan duct.  Other wise the GPU seems to be operating correctly and there is no hyperthreading of the  CPU evident or excessive fan usage.

Nvidia attempted to downplay the matter saying it only affected a few models, but in the end it was known to be affecting HP, Dell, Toshiba, and several Apple models as well.  The problem is so wide spread (this was 4+ yrs ago) that units are still surfacing with this issue and will likely be surfacing for sometime to come in the future

Read the full story here @ http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/51641-35-dv9700

Student
repairdude
Message 5 of 7 (1,087 Views)

[ Edited ]

The problem seems to be widespread and included my dv71132nr. My dv7 shut down and then would only flash indicator lights like caps and number lock. Forced to switch to my Dell Inspiron E1505 it failed the exact same way just 2 hours later. Both must be the same problem,they both had a high work load and ambient temp was upper 80s. Is it possible to have that bad of luck?

{Personal Information Removed}

Top Student
Xabyte
Message 6 of 7 (1,051 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not sure if that model Dell is affected.  I have repaired numerous ones of that model but never for that issue.  I replaced a screen once in one.  Now that I think about it, I did get one that came in that may have been disabled for that reason.  It never would power on.  The user complained that it would not boot though it appeared to have power.  I simply told her not to waste any more time with it.  She left it with me and I used the screen, a glossy, to replace the screen in the exact same model with a matte screen.  

Many people are calling for a class action lawsuit against HP and Nvidia.  This problem really appears to be just surfacing.  The units run fairly well for the first year or two if used under normal operating conditions.  Then as the GPU degrades from the constant heating/cooling cycles I mentioned earlier, the black outs begin to occur.  It may first start with general boot failure and attempts by Windows to run start up repair that is never successful.  Some people have gotten lucky and were able to get exchanges even though the warranty had expired.  Many others even under warranty have been reporting that they got the run around and poor customer service, blame shifting, and even misinformation.

I owned at least three HP units.  A desktop, a compaq desktop and the DV 9700.  After this fiasco, I have been steering clients clear of these models or at least making them aware that the problem exists so that they as end users can make more informed decisions.  Like I said in my last post this problem is still surfacing so I expect I will be getting a lot more calls about this sort of problem in the near future.  It seems most of them are at the end of the expected life span as they are beginning to fail in huge numbers at this time.  A client brought in a DV9700, the machine would come on and display the hp splash screen.  However it freezes right there and the screen is showing three separate images of the splash screen.  Just another failure scenario all stemming from the same issue.

Top Student
Xabyte
Message 7 of 7 (1,050 Views)

I installed core temp, and the windows desktop gadget on one fo the units (DV 7) and used the programmable feature to shut the unit down if the temp went above 91 degrees.  (HP says this is in the normal operating range for the core, but many consider it to be excessively hot).  My friend that I installed it for reported that the feature worked fine when the core began to heat up as his son was playing video games.  That may prolong the life of the unit slightly by reducing the heat damage at any one time rather than driving it to failure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation