Question

Honor Student
flagstaff
Message 1 of 3 (446 Views)

I have a HP G71-449WM Laptop, Product #WA606ua#ABA that won't get past the splash screen. (HP Logo)

At the screen bottom it says "Press ESC key for startup menu" but does nothing. I'm running W7 Ultimate and have been since I got it. I've tried swiching RAM cards, Taking the CMOS battery out & resetting, H.D. in, H.D. out, Optical drive in/out, Hooking the H.D. to my desktop via external cables & it's fine. The laptop also won't turn on with just just AC power, it charges the battery fine and will turn on the screen on battery power, but not when the battery is out. The little LED indicator light next to the power jack lights up for 5 - 10 seconds then goes out. The charge LED next to the H.D. & power light lights up when charging the battery. When the battery is fully charged, it goes out. So nothing wrong with the jack or charging system.

I can't get it to do anything other than just show the "HP" screen. None of the "F" buttons will make any of the boot functions or anything else work. I can't boot from the optical drive because I can't change the boot order. Therefore, I can't use USB boot options. I tried running the W7 Install disk and it did nothing. It's like the computer isn't sensing anything after the logo screen. The fan is running, but it's not cooling the machine very well. It always ran hot, but now it's hotter than ever. I don't want to shut it down for fear that I might never get it to come back on at all.

Any one have any idea's?

I'd hate to have a $500 brick on my hands. I bought this 2+ years ago from WallyWorld. I hear about so many people who's HP's quit right around 2 years old, I'd hate to become one of them. This thing was fine until 3 days ago.

THANKS, ANYONE???

Honor Student
bMaysing
Message 2 of 3 (389 Views)

Re: I have a HP G71-449WM Laptop, Product #WA606ua#ABA that won't get past the splash screen. (HP Lo

How long does it take to get an answer here?  I'm having the exact same problem with the exact same notebook.. 

Honor Student
flagstaff
Message 3 of 3 (338 Views)

Re: I have a HP G71-449WM Laptop, Product #WA606ua#ABA that won't get past the splash screen. (HP Lo

[ Edited ]

I sure would like an answer as well, since this thing is stitting in my hutch taking up space, all pulled apart. Be nice to have someone with some sort of brain from HP at least come back with some sort of B.S. than absolute silence. I found the orriginal receipt & I paid almost $600.00 for this.

{Content Removed: Language Filter Evasion}

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation