Question

Honor Student
Shonuh
Message 1 of 8 (209 Views)

Idle Freezing

My laptop was freezing when I left it idle for a few minutes which drove me crazy so I tried restoring it back a few weeks and on reboot I had an error message saying that the restore didn't work. After trying again, I got a blue screen of death after logging in, and eventually they kept happening until I couldn't even start up my computer to the log in screen so I decided to reformat it completely. It helped for a bit, but it's now freezing again and now freezes when I'm trying to install updates (while not being idle) so I don't know what more I can do.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 8 (207 Views)

Re: Idle Freezing

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

If both the above tests pass, try the following.

Click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Shonuh
Message 3 of 8 (201 Views)

The memory test came up fine. The short hard drive test went through with no problems but the long hard drive test brought up a message saying "Hard Disc 1 Full (305)". I also did the second part of what you said by checking my drive for errors, but that went through 3 of 5 stages and froze at 10% during the 4th stage.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 8 (197 Views)

Hi,

Well it looks like the problem is with the Hard Drive - these are quite straight forward to replace and if you would like a guide on how to do this, please let me know.

Obviously, if your notebook is still under warranty, you should contact HP to have this replaced.

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
BradleyWP
Message 5 of 8 (192 Views)

I am having the same problem and got the same error message when running long HD test.  Does this mean my HD is failing and if so, what steps do I need to take?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 8 (190 Views)

@BradleyWP,

Yes, it looks like you will need to replace the Hard Drive.  If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP to have this replaced, otherwise if you post back with either your full Model No. or Part No. I can give you a guide on replacing this yourself.

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
BradleyWP
Message 7 of 8 (188 Views)

I have a Compaq Presario CQ62.  I also have a Acer Aspire 3000.  Can I use the HD from that to put in my Compaq?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 8 (182 Views)

Hi,

There should be more numbers and letters after the CQ62 - ie CQ62 - 210US.  It's unlikely given the age of the other notebook that the HDD will be compatible with the CQ - The Acer more than likely has an IDE drive whereas the CQ will probably have a SATA drive.

Regards,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation