Question

Top Student
Jon8411
Message 1 of 12 (1,462 Views)
Accepted Solution

Installation of windows update kb 2656373 causes notebook to freeze

Tried to download and install Windows security update KB2656373. When trying to restart machine it freezes. The only way of shutting down is a hard shut down. OS Windows 7, 64 bit. notebook is a Compaq Presario CQ56-115DX

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 2 of 12 (1,457 Views)

Re: Installation of windows update kb 2656373 causes notebook to freeze

Hi,

This may happen sometimes due to anti-virus or firewalls also.Disable them and check if it works better...Or, otherwise try these:

- First uninstall the latest Windows Updates.

Click on the Start Button> Type Windows Updates in the Start Search box > Click View Installed Updates at appears at the top > In the Installed Updates screen Sort the updates as per installed date by clicking on the Down arrow next to installed and choose a date or last week...

Windows_Updates.PNG

Uninstall the updates that were installed recently one by one. Do not restart.Click cancel on restart window.

Then perform a clean boot as shown in the link and follow these steps:

Perform a clean boot  >

In the start search box type msconfig > Click Startup tab > Click disable all at the bottom > Then Click services > check the box next to Hide all microsoft services at the bottom > Then select disable all > Click Apply > Ok and restart.

Once it restarts then go to windows updates and complete all the updates > Restart and check. If it works better then Go bak to msconfig and enable only the startup programs and services that are required. Enable few and check again..

Let me know if problem continues..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
If you have HP Support Assistant installed on the computer(The Blue Question Mark) then open it ==> Complete all pending Updates & Tuneups==> Restart and Check. It may solve your problem
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped**
Top Student
Jon8411
Message 3 of 12 (1,401 Views)

I tried your suggestions, however same result.The only way I can the system to respond after a hard shut down is to start in safe mode and go back to a restore point. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 4 of 12 (1,393 Views)

Perform the Clean boot from Safe mode and then restart to normal mode.

Note:
If you have HP Support Assistant installed on the computer(The Blue Question Mark) then open it ==> Complete all pending Updates & Tuneups==> Restart and Check. It may solve your problem
Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 5 of 12 (1,389 Views)

There is another option you can try which actually has solved the slow issue for some systems after the same update. After uninstalling the kb 2656373, Restart the notebook and then manually download it from the link below:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 20...

Note:
Top Student
Jon8411
Message 6 of 12 (1,331 Views)

There are 3 diffferent files I can install which are associated with this link.

Windows6.1-KB2656373-ia64.msu

Windows6.1-KB2656373-x64.msu

Winindows6.1-KB2656373-x86.msu

which should i download?

The machine is Windows 7,  64-bit OS

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 7 of 12 (1,310 Views)

Sorry for that..yes this is the one for your system:

Windows6.1-KB2656373-x64.msu   :  557KB

Note:
Top Student
Jon8411
Message 8 of 12 (1,280 Views)

I was able to install the update, but after reboot the notebook froze; completly unresponsive, unable to start task manager, control-alt-delete did not work.

Had to turn power off using power switch.

Rebooted in safe mode and uninstalled update.

Reboot in normal mode still froze.

Rebooted again in safe mode and used a system restore and was able find a "good" restore point. It is now working without the update. it seems that the updated is creating some sort of conflict. Any other suggestions??

Top Student
Jon8411
Message 9 of 12 (1,105 Views)

I have not heard from you since last week. Do you have any other suggestions??

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 10 of 12 (830 Views)

Hi,

Here are few more similar steps collected from some MS experts that you can try and check:

Start the notebook up in Safe Mode (F8) and then uninstall the update from within Programs and Features--select show installed update on upper left side. Find the update and uninstall it. It is a known problem as Microsoft has published some of the vulnerabilities in the .NET code with it. It has not yet been fixed!

wup.png

If this doesnt work run this fixit and also perform the repair steps from the link below:

MS Fixit dot net

Download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 

If this also doesnt work the next thing you can try is to backup all your important data and perform a complete recovery. Once recovery is done first install all update.Once all updates are installed then download the required anti-virus program and check.

Note:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation