Question

Honor Student
malikr
Message 1 of 11 (9,881 Views)

Laptop Freezes/lockups

Hi,

My  HP laptop dv4-1124nr (os = vista)  is about a little over a year old and I have been having this problem for the last month now. Every day once or twice  my laptop lockups/freezes - the cursor sticks and there's nothing I can do other than power it off and boot it back up and then its fine for the next few hours. This is random... sometimes it happens when doing something and after an hour or two it will get freeze/lock and nothing works, not even CTRL+ALT+DEL, except power it off.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. I don't have any heating issues, i ran memory/hard drive test at start up and no issues. I'm using Norton 360 4.0 and i scan every week so i don't think any virsu issue.

Thanks

malik

PhD Student
Knute
Message 2 of 11 (9,822 Views)

Re: Laptop Freezes/lockups

Have you considered running a check disk to check the hard drive for errors?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Honor Student
    malikr
    Message 3 of 11 (9,792 Views)

Hi Knute Sakk,

I ran a check disk to check the hard drive errors and it looks good too. I don't know what's the next step should i do. Some advise/pointers will be very helpful.

Thanks again

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 4 of 11 (9,779 Views)

I know you said you don't have heating issues, but that's almost what it sounds like provided all other testing passed.  Just short of reinstalling the OS I would try blowing out the vents on the laptop with some canned air or an air compressor and see if any dust comes out.  Have you checked to see if your BIOS on the system board is up to date?

Here's an article about HP laptop fans:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01657439&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_u...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Honor Student
    malikr
    Message 5 of 11 (9,753 Views)

Thanks again.

Thanks for the link. It seems BIOS is up to date. Do you think i should reinstall the OS? Also I have checked the event logs and tried to find some logs when it was freezed but i couldn't find anything.

Thanks

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 6 of 11 (9,723 Views)

Reinstalling the OS is your last option really provided all other testing passed, but perhaps another user on here would have a different suggestion.

• Student
    tsomby
    Message 7 of 11 (9,605 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello! 

I'm having exactly the same problem with my HP Pavilion dv6770ev. It freezes and i can't do anything at all. I have try Windows 7, Windows Vista and Ubuntu Linux and it always happens. Even while I'm installing the OS sometimes. I have try 3 different hard disks and 2 pairs of ram memories and the problem continues to happend.. Does anybody think that maybe vga cards problem? Or anything else? I don't know what else to try...

Honor Student
    malikr
    Message 8 of 11 (9,394 Views)

Update:

I've reinstalled OS and updated BIOS as well, but still locksup/freezes randomly. When it locksup/freezes, i had noted the timestamps and checked the event log but i don't see any thing for that freezing timeframe. I have also tried a 3rd party tool "whocrashed" to see if any drivers conflicts but everything looks good. As i had mentioned above that i have done all the possbile tests i.e. memory/hard drive self test using F10 (BIOS), ran check disk errors and everything was fine. I'll really appreciate if someone help me. Thanks again and happy 2011.

Student
    dv3lap
    Message 9 of 11 (9,239 Views)

I have the exact same thing happening on my dv3 laptop.......COULD SOMEONE FROM HP PLEASE ADDRESS THIS????!! Hello...is anyone there?

Regretful HP laptop buyer

Honor Student
    TCBS
    Message 10 of 11 (9,235 Views)

Hi - I am having this same problem on my DV7 that is only a month old.  I talked to HP tonight and they said,

"As per your description it seems that the issue might be due to malfunction of the internal component of the notebook"

and recommended I send it in for repairs.  I've read other posts on here that mentioned something about replacing the HDD I think it was? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation