Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp laptop probook 4430s screen black and doesnt boot caps lick light is blinking and cpu fan is running
HP Recommended

So, I somehow fixed my laptop. I dissassembled it with the help of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZK0ETNWOgw (very easy, just time consuming the first time). I got to the cpu I took it out, changed the thermal paste, put it back in and then reassembled the laptop.

When I pushed the power button, the same leds blinked, I thought it was dead. But then, I thought of exchanging the RAM from another identical laptop (#2) I have. I did, and the laptop #2 that worked before did not work with the "bad" RAM, the lights blinked the same, and the fan did not start.

But the first laptop that didn't even started the fan, this time the fan turned on, did some noises, and in about 30 seconds it shutted down, so I thought maybe I did not connect right the display. So I left the RAM modules like before, once I did this, the laptop turned the fans on and did the starting up noises WITH the "bad" RAM, the display still wouldn't come on.

I exchanged the RAM modules again, this time the laptop did turned on, the display turned on with a message that it had overheated the last time......Booted and it was normal

I did at one point ran Memtest86 with a USB drive, but on the "good" RAM just to see if it got the laptop to boot.

So I can't know for sure what the problem was, but I think the solution was the exchanging back and forth of the memory modules.

I have to say that I got the laptop #2 that now had the "bad" RAM module to boot normally, just by turning it off and on several times.

The problem obviously wasn't CPU, Battery, Charger, or soldering problems on the MOBO like many suggested to me.

Hope this helps anyone

HP Recommended
my capsule light is blinking
HP Recommended

Just wanted to give a thanks to those on this forum who posted the links about the blink codes. My HP dm4 has been doing this for a good while and I never knew why.

So mine blinks four times, and after about 5-10 minutes does always start. I see that four times is the graphics card, which makes sense. The dedicated GPU on my laptop randomly blew out a couple of years ago. I thought all I'd lost was my HDMI port at the time, but it makes total sense that this could be viewed as a problematic "hardware issue" by my laptop.

Ever since it died, there's been no trace of my GPU in the device manager or anywhere else I can see - just the Intel HD graphics that have been serving me since then. Anyone know of a way I can tell my laptop to stop looking for the dead graphics card and just boot normally? Short of opening it up and physically removing it? Can I do this in the BIOS somewhere? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/tips!

HP Recommended
I'm having the same issue and I called hp and they said my warranty went out in September of this year. So if they where to fix it the price would be 378.00. I can't afford that so I was wondering in your post you said there was a one time fix from hp what is that phone number
HP Recommended

Could someone please please help me. I have a hp envy notebook and last night there was a bios update push by hp and now when I went to turn on my notebook the power light blinks, f12 key blinks and the caps lock blinks my screen will not come on. I called hp and they said the warranty went out 2 months ago and if they worked on it they will charge me 400.00 I can't afford that. So could some please help please. I went to the hp website and followed the trouble shooting steps and still not working. You can email me at [Personal Information Removed] please help

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

got it !!!!!!! had the same problem on HP 620 ... constant blinking caps led and shining num ... just take out keybord and start normaly :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD try this all of YOU :DD

HP Recommended

i dont know to be exact but capslock blinking means mostly that your graphics port has blown out sad..... very sad i did replace my thermal paste and it switch on but after 30 min the system froze and no sucess till date trying to find out how to soilder the graphics port.

HP Recommended

I had a similar experience, the laptop wouldn't boot, black screen with caps lock blinking in a sequence of 2 blinks.  I had been getting disk failure warnings previuosly, so I assumed the hard drive or chipset was burning out.  Also, the rechargeable battery was a bit faulty.  I checked memory stick individually with different laptop, the memory sticks were fine.  I bought a new hard drive, installed windows and the machine played youtube videos for about 6 hours with no problems.  I went for a walk about, back to the camp some hours later.  The laptop would not boot up, same thing, black screen caps lock blinking. So, I thought, hold on, I know this doesnt seem like it should matter, but I pulled the rechargeable battery out of the mix and the machine boots up just fine. 

So far, it would seem that my fix was a new hard drive and NO (or new, i havent bought one yet) rechargeable battery - plugged straight into the wall.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.