Question

Honor Student
Tyrannasaur
Message 1 of 5 (2,907 Views)

Laptop keeps logging off

Hello,

Last year I bought a HP Pavilion dv6-3025 laptop with Windows 7 and just revently started having an issue with it randomly logging off.  I will just be sitting there typing and then I just get sent to the computer log in screen.  Other problems are when I press the shift key it prints an 'L', 'r' brings up run, 'u' brings up ease of access and another brings up My Computer.  Most of the time though, it just logs me out.  The first time it happened was on November 27 or 28.  It stopped and then started again on the 7th.  I tried using the on screen keyboard and still had the same problem.  I've run virus scans and deleted cookies and temporary internet files (Though I didn't think that would fix it).  Unfortunately I didn't have a system restore point set up before the problems started to occur (silly me).  

Any idea what might be wrong?  I thought it was a hardware issue and I had to clean out the keyboard, but since the on screen keyboard has the same problem that rules that out, right?

Thanks!

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 2 of 5 (2,901 Views)

Re: Laptop keeps logging off

Hi,

Try to log into Safe Mode with Networking and check if it still logs off. Once in Safe Mode with Networking use the computer for few minutes and check if it logs off automatically. Also check keyboard issue. Then do a clean boot by disabling all startup programs and restart.

Let me know what happens after this..

Steps to Perform Clean Boot

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
If you have HP Support Assistant installed on the computer(The Blue Question Mark) then open it ==> Complete all pending Updates & Tuneups==> Restart and Check. It may solve your problem
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped** Or Mark it as "Solved" if issue got fixed.
Honor Student
Tyrannasaur
Message 3 of 5 (2,875 Views)

I tried everything you suggested and shortly after typing something up, when I pressed shift an 'L' would be printed.  It didn't log out, but I'll see if it does after a little more time.

Honor Student
Tyrannasaur
Message 4 of 5 (2,870 Views)

Well  I guess I spoke too soon.  It started logging me off when I type again.

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 5 of 5 (2,860 Views)

Hi,

If it is happening in Safe Mode also then most likely a hardware problem. But still you can try 2 more steps completely eliminate that it is not a software problem.

i) Run a complete hardware disagnostic: How to run system diagnostics: System Diagnostics (F2)

ii) If test passes then next best option will be to back up your Data and perform a System Recovery from the Recovery Partition or using Recovery Discs

**This will reset the computer to factory settings and will wipeout the hard drive clean**

If system recovery also doesnt help then it is definately a hardware issue and you will have to call HP Tech Support to get the hardware replaced.

Note:
If you have HP Support Assistant installed on the computer(The Blue Question Mark) then open it ==> Complete all pending Updates & Tuneups==> Restart and Check. It may solve your problem
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped** Or Mark it as "Solved" if issue got fixed.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation