Laptop not getting beyond BIOS splash screen (2461 Views)
Tutor
frannyjunk
Message 1 of 15 (2,461 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laptop not getting beyond BIOS splash screen

Hi, I have one of those dreaded DV6000 laptops. It died a few weeks ago (powers up but nothing on screen) and this past weekend I did the heat gun reflow. In any case, that seemed to have "fixed" it. Now here's the problem. When I power up, I see the HP splash screen and have options for F10 (enter Setup) or ESC for boot order. If I press F10, it'll say "Please wait" as it tries to get into the BIOS Setup but nothing else happens. If I press ESC, it tries to boot but only gets to a screen that says BIOS version, DVD/RW model, hard drive model, etc. It does not boot to Windows Vista.

Now, if I take out the hard drive, I can get into BIOS Setup with no problems. If I use a Ubuntu setup DVD disk, I can have Ubuntu load (from the DVD drive) with no problems. I am at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 15 (2,454 Views)

Re: Laptop not getting beyond BIOS splash screen

Hi,

With the hard drive removed, change the boot order in the bios so that the CD/DVD drive is first.  Replace the hard drive and insert the ubuntu CD.  Boot from the ununtu cd and follow the guide on the link below to see if you can rescue any files you may want to retrieve.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

Do you have Recovery DVDs for your operating system?  If you do you could try the process below to reinstall the OS.

Download and install Killdisk on the link below.

http://software.lsoft.net/KillDiskSuiteFree-Setup.exe

Download and install ImgBurn on the link below.

http://download.cnet.com/ImgBurn/3000-2646_4-10847481.html

Go to the Kill Disk application you have installed in All Programs, open the main folder, then select Bootable Disk creators and from that select Bootable DOS CD Creator which will burn the bootable ISO to a blank CD.

During the next process do not worry about any warnings as your Recovery DVDs will reformat the HDD.

Insert this CD in to your PC that is unable to load the Operating System properly. Shut the PC down, then start it again to boot from the Killdisk CD and follow the on screen instructions for Kill Disk.

A brief description of the process is here Killdisk.

Use this to wipe the whole of the Hard Drive ( f10 ) - ( make sure you include all partitions and then start the process - this may take a couple of hours! ).  When the process is complete, remove the disk, insert the your first Recovery Disk and reboot your PC to start installing your Operating System again.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
frannyjunk
Message 3 of 15 (2,448 Views)

DavidPK, thanks for the help!! I very much appreciate it. My only problem is that I do not have the recovery disks. I have tried pressing F11 when the HP splash screen shows, but F11 does not work. Is there a way to create recover disks from that hard drive if I put it in a USB enclosure?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 15 (2,446 Views)

Hi,

Can you get the system to start in Safe Mode by tapping f8 as you start the PC?

Does it help at all if you reset your bios defaults ( with your HDD removed, tap away at f10 as you start your PC ).  Press f5, use the arrow keys to select yes and hit return, press f10 and select yes.

Regards,

DP-K

Tutor
frannyjunk
Message 5 of 15 (2,416 Views)

Thanks DavidPK. I have not tried F8 to get into safe mode but will try tonight. I am not hopeful as it did not get beyond the initial BIOS screen. But I will definitely try. Also, good suggestion on the BIOS default. I unplugged the CMOS battery this morning and pressed the power button (battery was off and it was not plugged it) to darin any residual power. Upon replugging in the CMOS battery and regular battery, then powering up, there was no change.

I hope is is simply the MBR is dad on the hard drive .... 'tho I did put another hard drive (from another DV6000 that I have) and still only got the BIOS splash screen. Funny thing is that Ubuntu can load from the DVD ROM w/out problems. I will have to get my hands on the recovery disk if all else fail.

Any other suggestions? I will try the ones you mentioned tonight and report back. 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 15 (2,414 Views)

Hi,

If I think of anything else in the meantime I'll post back.  Let me know how you get on with loading the bios defaults and Safe mode.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Tutor
frannyjunk
Message 7 of 15 (2,395 Views)

Just tried tonight. No go on F8 since it does not get to loading Windows. I removed the hard drive so that I can get into BIOS Setup, reset to default settings .... still nothing. Next step to load re-load Vista? Any idea how I can make a recovery disk using this hard drive?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 15 (2,383 Views)

Hi,

I'm just thinking that before trying to reinstall Vista, it may be an idea to make sure that the laptop will boot.  On the link below is the download and instruction for creating a bootable Ubuntu CD.  You can use this ( without the need to install on the HDD ) to see if the laptop is able to boot.

Let me know how it goes.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Tutor
frannyjunk
Message 9 of 15 (2,375 Views)

[ Edited ]

DavidPK, thanks for the suggestion. I have tried loading Ubuntu from the disc and it loads just fine. I have not tried installing it onto the HDD. Here is something I tried last night. I put the DV6000 HDD into my Acer laptop. Funny thing .... it booted just fine after Vista automaticalled installed some drivers. So, I know the HDD is ok. So, DV6000 works just fine. HDD works just fine. But put them together and nothing???

Any other suggestions? 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 10 of 15 (2,367 Views)

Hi,

It's certainly difficult to see why the HDD and the PC aren't getting on!!

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to put the HDD back in to your other laptop and look under All Programs, Recovery manager and see if the Recovery Disk Creator will run and burn a set of DVDs.

You could also contact HP and order a set of Recovery Disks on the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07143#N75

Let me know how you get on and whether Recovery Disk Creator will work in your other PC.

Best wishes,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation