Question

Top Student
Andrewd431
Message 1 of 7 (1,770 Views)

Laptop randomly restarting, Please help!

[ Edited ]

Hello my laptop has been randomly restarting all the time recently, this problem has been going on for around a week. At first I thought the problem would be overheating so I opened my laptop up and blew any dust away from the fan ect (There was barely no dust) and then I made sure there was room for the air to circulate around the laptop and I even opened a window and blew an additional fan onto the laptop. However the problem still persisted. So I doubt its overheating. The laptop seems to restart 4-5 times a day. I cant really find a connection between the restarts apart from perhaps high CPU usage from playing games such as Starcraft 2. There is 2 kinds of restarts I get, the first one is just like you held down the power button and then pressed it on again, and I get the "Your computer did not shut down sucessfully bla bla bla" message. The other one is where the Laptop just freezes up and makes a buzzing noise and I cant move my cursor ect so I have to turn it off manually. Ive also done virus scans and got rid of any software that I believed I had downloaded recently.

Im running windows 7 64 bit and I have a HP Pavilion g6-1228sa Notebook PC. Please help!

Edit: Speed Fan results ATM, 

HD0: 40C

Temp1: 64C

GPU: 64

Core: 65

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 7 (1,755 Views)

Re: Laptop randomly restarting, Please help!

Try tuning the notebook without the battery in and just the power adaptor attached.  Try only one piece of memory at a time and try both slots (remove battery and power adaptor while moving memory around).  Do a check disk, do the hard drive and memory test from the HP utilities (taping the F10 key during startup until you get into the utilities).

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Top Student
Andrewd431
Message 3 of 7 (1,754 Views)

Hey I think removing the battery and just keeping in the charger might have fixed one of the "types" of random restart. It seemed to have fix the one where the screen goes black and just restarts and I get the windows did not shut down sucessfully ect message. Although im not completely sure because the time sample is till to short but so far so good :smileyhappy:. Ill try running those tests, thanks for your reply. Ill keep you updated.

Top Student
Andrewd431
Message 4 of 7 (1,744 Views)

[ Edited ]

I did the hard disk + memory test and passed them both. What did you mean by "Try only one piece of memory at a time and try both slots (remove battery and power adaptor while moving memory around)"? Btw what does it mean if I no longer get that one of those random types of restarts when I remove the battery and just keep the charger in? Also I read somewhere that the other type of problem that im having (the screen freezing up and it beeping loudly) could be to do with  a component such as the video card overheating and the "beeping" sound is apparently a warning or something and to prevent permanent damage to the component it just crashes, is that true?

Top Student
Andrewd431
Message 5 of 7 (1,736 Views)

Bump

Top Student
Andrewd431
Message 6 of 7 (1,731 Views)

Okay so it seems removing the battery and keeping the charger in DID NOT fix the random restart where the screen goes black for a second and it just restarts. I know this because it just happened when the battery was out :smileysad:.

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 7 of 7 (1,729 Views)

Here is one of your manuals:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02968997.pdf

Note page 56! It shows you how to access your memory. That is where I was saying to try just one at a time and try the other slot.

Here are some led and beeping codes:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443371&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1132551#N30...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation