Question

Honor Student
kirkj003
Message 1 of 4 (857 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laptop running very slowly

With no programs open, my CPU usage is above 50% and memory usage above 75%.  Any ideas?

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 4 (848 Views)

Re: Laptop running very slowly

Hi Kirk,

Open your Resource Manager and see what is grabbing all the resource.  It could be a planned scan of the system, or it could be an unplanned task that has run amuck and needs to be stopped.

One way to get to the Resource Monitor:

Start > search / type "resour" > Click on "Resource Monitor

(You may also Right-Click and Send it to your Desktop as a Shortcut if you like)

NOTE:  You can also get to the Resource Monitor from within the Task Manager.

Once you get it up and running, the view will probably default to Overview.  You can leave it there or Click over to CPU.  Regardless, in the CPU frame, Click on the CPU column to sort by CPU usage.  There you go.  The process using the most CPU time will be on the top.

You can highlight and the right-click to kill it if you want.

Be aware that you are in some deep waters, here.  This is the workings of the system and what you do in here determines whether the systems runs or chokes and stops.  Tread carefully.

NOTE that there are tabs for DISK, Memory, Network... You can learn alot by watching the system go about its business.

NOTE!  Don't keep the Resource Monitor running all the time - IT takes resource, too!  Smiling.

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
kirkj003
Message 3 of 4 (843 Views)

Thank you.  I found a Windows Media Player Network Sharing application running.  I googled that and found others had the same issue.  I've disabled it, so hopefully that was the issue.  Thanks again.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (842 Views)

Excellent!  I'm glad you found it!

I've heard of that pesky Media Player app going nuts.

Keep your Task Manager close by, too - one never knows when something is going to need a good swat!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation