Laptop screen suddenly goes black (9694 Views)
Top Student
trangelina
Message 1 of 4 (9,694 Views)

Laptop screen suddenly goes black

Hello,

I have HP 6730s laptop, 2.5 years old, running perfectly and stable until now. Recently, all of a sudden the screen goes black but the computer is still working, only not responding to anything I do on the keyboard so I have to press and hold the power button for some time to turn it off and turning on again. After turning on the laptop continious to work good until the next black out.

Any idea what might be and maybe some solution?

Thank you

Honor Student
JordanVP
Message 2 of 4 (9,658 Views)

Re: Laptop screen suddenly goes black

I have the same exact problem on my Pavillion dv7-3065dx. It works fine for an hour or so and then suddenly the display goes black. No cursor is present, the keyboard lights (num lock, caps lock, wifi) don't change when you press their corresponding key. Also, no keyboard shortcuts work (ctrl-alt-del, etc.). This really can't happen to me because I have classes so a fix would greatly be appreciated. *Note: I ran system diagnostics (accessed by pressing esc on startup) and everything checks out. No idea what the problem could be.
Top Student
jkkesler
Message 3 of 4 (9,390 Views)

I have had the same problem on two different HP laptops.   From many trails and web searches I have found two things that seem to help.  One is overheating of the processor or video chip.  I have found that slower the processor speed or even dimming the screen can help prevetn such blackouts.  It can also help if you make certain the air flow into the case is not blocked with either dust or something the computer is setting on.

The other thing I have found is that some MS Windows updates must contain an updated vidoe driver or something else which make sthe problem.  When the problem after a recent Windows update I have found that rolling back to a recent Set Point cna help.

I have not seen anything official form HP about this, I suspect that the problem is somewhat rare and by weighing in on it, they might be inviting some liablity for poor design of MS Windows incompatiblities.

Try either or both of the above and see what happens. 

Good luck.

Student
oriyourme
Message 4 of 4 (3,529 Views)

Plese my Hp sudden gone blank while still running. I put it off by pressing the power button for a long time before i could shut it down. It is ruuning on  AMD processors. Please I need directive on what to do. Thanks for your support.

Oriyourme 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation