Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have recently purchased an HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook Windows 7 Professional (PC Product #: E1P05AV). I'll usually close the lid to put it into sleep mode when I have to do something else. But when I open it back up, it has the "Start windows normally or safe mode" sreen. I've noticed that this only happens after a certain amount of time of being in sleep mode. If I wake it up prior to that, it works just fine. I hope that this can be resolved since this is a brand new laptop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've looked into this issue further for you, as something was bugging me after reading your last two posts. First, the fact the the re-image didn't correct the issue, means something else is causing the issue but what we still don't know. Second, was the fact that you can use that other program to have the notebook sleep correctly so, it's doing something for your computer, counter acting whatever is causing it to not wake from sleep.

Talking with some colleague's, I have  a few more ideas for you to try.

The first one, in Windows 7 there's an auto restart upon error. I have a document that will allow you to disable this. What could be happening, is that when you "wake" the notebook something is causing an error, this is what is causing the system to restart. The "error" goes unnoticed due to the restart feature.
How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7 - this article from about.com, can help you with disabling this feature.

After that, I would like you t restore the default power schemes.
Windows 7 - Restore the default power schemes - this article from en.kioskea.net, has the commands for this.
The reasoning for this, is something installed on the notebook, could have change power setting. Thus causing the "glitch or error" that isn't allowing the notebook to wake.

Lastly, aside from you mouse and keyboard, disconnect any an all other devices (specifically USB) and test. This is to see if any of those are causing conflict.  

Test after this as much as you can, if you don't notice the issue start reconnecting devices (if you have any others) to see. Also, with the restart on error being disabled, if you get an error  you should be able to capture it now. If you can please provide it, this will give a much clearer idea to what is going on. Over just guessing.

Let me know how all of this goes.
Thanks.

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi cck979,

I see that you have an issue when you close the notebook lid, that it will hibernate but will eventually act like it's shut down incorrectly.

As you are also having the usb 3.0 issue, I'm curious if you've left anything plugged into the ports when closing the lid and letting the notebook sleep.

For the shutdown issue, try using this document to setup power management options: Managing Power Options (Windows 7).

I'd also recommend using the HP Support Assistant, to make sure everything is up to date.

Please let me know if this helps any.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

HP Recommended

I found out from some research that this problem had to do with the Intel rapid storage technology interfering with something. Link power management was deemed the culprit of this problem. Ever since i've disabled it, I haven't had the sleep mode problem. But I do wonder if disabling Link power management will have any disadvantages. Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

It turns out that disabling that didn't help for long, because it started doing it again. I've been using Passmark Sleeper as a different way to make it sleep which works perfectly. I would still like to find out how to fix this issue without having to resort to a third party application. Again, thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'd suggest going with this document: Overview of Recovering the OS or Reinstalling the Operating System. It will guide you through a recovery or OS reinstall. If the issue is software related, this should correct it.

If this does not, the issue is with hardware. I'd recommend contacting support at that point for repair/replacement options.

HP Technical Support, North America 1-800-474-6836. For all other regions click here.

Let me know how it goes.
Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the document. I will try to do a recovery, but I can't back up anything at the moment. I should be getting an external hard drive soon specifically for that purpose. Unless I can put the back up on a seperate partition on my hard drive, but I don't really know how to do that. I'll let you know of any changes in the sleeping behavior. Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

I recently did a factory reset and then recovered with a system image, though I have a feeling that the system image could bring the problem back with it. I'm not sure if it works that way or not. Anyway, I tried making it sleep again, but it still had the same problem. On further investigation, I found out that the computer doesn't actually shutdown while in sleep mode, but only at the moment when it is woken up. I even noticed a beep when it happened this time. It would be very troublesome to have to take this laptop back because i've read that it could take a month or more to get a replacement with this particular model, so I may just rely on the third party software I have after all. I'm still open to any suggestions you may have though. Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've looked into this issue further for you, as something was bugging me after reading your last two posts. First, the fact the the re-image didn't correct the issue, means something else is causing the issue but what we still don't know. Second, was the fact that you can use that other program to have the notebook sleep correctly so, it's doing something for your computer, counter acting whatever is causing it to not wake from sleep.

Talking with some colleague's, I have  a few more ideas for you to try.

The first one, in Windows 7 there's an auto restart upon error. I have a document that will allow you to disable this. What could be happening, is that when you "wake" the notebook something is causing an error, this is what is causing the system to restart. The "error" goes unnoticed due to the restart feature.
How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7 - this article from about.com, can help you with disabling this feature.

After that, I would like you t restore the default power schemes.
Windows 7 - Restore the default power schemes - this article from en.kioskea.net, has the commands for this.
The reasoning for this, is something installed on the notebook, could have change power setting. Thus causing the "glitch or error" that isn't allowing the notebook to wake.

Lastly, aside from you mouse and keyboard, disconnect any an all other devices (specifically USB) and test. This is to see if any of those are causing conflict.  

Test after this as much as you can, if you don't notice the issue start reconnecting devices (if you have any others) to see. Also, with the restart on error being disabled, if you get an error  you should be able to capture it now. If you can please provide it, this will give a much clearer idea to what is going on. Over just guessing.

Let me know how all of this goes.
Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer. When I did the default power scheme method, it changed the "HP Recommended" power setting to "unbundle". I have no idea what that is, but I hope it's normal. As for sleeping, I did three test for three different lengths of time. All three worked and the computer woke up fine. I'll have to keep testing to make sure though. I recently found something that may be tied to all of this in the device manager. Apparently the Intel Management Engine Interface is not working properly. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it would fail. I found a thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/47933 on this particular driver and found that it only had this problem while waking from sleep mode. So that lead me to think that it could be related to all of this in some way, though that's just my guess. Sorry for dragging this on for so long. Thank you for your time.

Edit:

I actually did get the Intel Management Engine Interface to reinstall successfully and it is now working fine. I don't know if it did have anything to do with this problem though.

Also, I found this expanation of the driver quite interesting regarding it's relation to the problem if any:

"The main component of Management Engine interface, ME performs a number of tasks in conditions when the system is running or in sleep mode. It also supports several tasks during the boot process. This sub-system is required for proper functioning and maximum efficiency of the PC. The interface checks whether the system is working properly or not while communicating with the operating system of PC."

HP Recommended

Interesting find, that could have had some impact or even been the cuase. Test it out and keep me posted on how things go!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.