Question

Honor Student
_Heisenberg
Message 1 of 3 (4,335 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laptop stuck on "Starting Windows" screen

So,this afternoon I tried to start my HPG42-373 laptop and it got stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen.I ran the Memory,Startup and Primary HD tests,in which Startup failed,and Primary HD came out with this:"Hard Disk 1 Quick(303)". What can I do to fix it,if anything,or just to save what I can of my old files?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (4,324 Views)

Re: Laptop stuck on "Starting Windows" screen

Hi,

The 303 error code is a failure of the short Disk Self Test and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the start-up issue.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regarding accessing the data on this HDD, here are a couple of options you could try.

1.  One possible way to try and retrieve your files from a non-booting drive is to follow the process detailed in the link below.  The Ubuntu operating system CD you create can run from the CD alone ( ie it doesn't have to install on the Hard Drive ) and I've often found it to be successful in retrieving data even from a failing Hard Drive.  When you've created the CD, follow the instructions and see if you can back up your existing files. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

2.  Another option would be to remove the HDD, place it in an external caddy - an example is on the link below - connect this to another PC and see if you can access your files.

External HDD Caddy 2.5".

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
_Heisenberg
Message 3 of 3 (4,312 Views)

Re: Laptop stuck on "Starting Windows" screen

Yep,the USB boot worked and I'll proceed to backing up my files,it's just hard to hear that I'll have to change the HD :smileyfrustrated:

Thanks nonetheless,David.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation