01-08-2012 01:34 PM
I have a 2 year old HP DV4. Everything was working and this morning, when I was in bed, I hear a clicking noise from my laptop that was sitting on my desk so I immediately turn the laptop off by holding down the power button. Now when I try turning it back on, it makes a clicking noise from the area left of the mouse touchpad so I'm assuming from the HDD area and nothing comes up.
Things I already tried:
- I already tried unplugging + removing battery and doing a power reset --> no change
- I already tried unplugging and running only on battery power --> no change
- When I press f10 and do a hard drive self test --> I get message "hard disk not exist"
Now when I try to turn it in, a screen comes up saying "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"
A few questions:
1) Any way I can resolve this problem or is this a completely HDD failure?
2) Is there anyway I can recover the data from the HDD? I have things on there I haven't backed up that I really do need to get out.
3) If I order the HP Recovery Disk CD online, will it be able to reinstall windows without wiping off everything?
01-09-2012 06:41 PM
* I am an HP employee. *
** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
07-17-2013 02:45 PM
HP laptop won't boot. Nothing shows up on screen not even the bios startup. Only recognizable thing is a clicking noise that comes from the DVD drive. I purchased a brand new harddrvie but have the same result.
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 10, 8)
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)