Question

Student
qtrhorses2
Message 1 of 2 (1,107 Views)

Laptop won't finish booting up; Hard Disk 1 error

Went to boot up my laptop, and it says that Windows didn't boot up properly, and that I can either boot normally, or boot in "repair mode" (recommended).

If I try to boot in repair mode, it just ends up throwing me back to the same screen.  If I try to boot "normal", it gets to the blue windows screen with the white clouds, and just sits there.  Tried booting in safe mode, and it won't boot that way either.

I did manage to run the HP diagnostic tool on it, and it says that it failed the Short DST (whatever that is), with the following error:  906F31-53X63Q-XD03HA-60VQ03

Any idea what this means?  I tried looking this error up on the HP website, but it says that "nothing is found".

I tried taking it to a local computer shop, and they say the hard drive has gone bad, however they don't have the capabilities of retrieving any of my data.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

(It's running Windows 7, and the Product ID is WA976UA#ABA)

Thanks!

Intern
Speaker4theDead
Message 2 of 2 (1,105 Views)

Re: Laptop won't finish booting up; Hard Disk 1 error

Well your local computer store is right, it's a failed Hard Drive.

Which means that all your data is lost if you don't have it backed up.

Failed Hard Drives are a common problem, it can happen to ANY computer at ANY time.

So what do you do now?

Well you can call around places to see if they can TRY to extract your data and make a copy for you if it's that valuable, BUT most likely most places don't have the ability to and the places that do will charge you more than what you paid for the computer brand new.

Getting the computer fixed:

If you are still under Warranty with the computer you can call the HP support line at 1800HPInvent.

They'll ask for yours Serial Number and Product Number of your computer which you can find in the battery compartment of your computer.

Explained you have a failed Hard Drive and a failure ID code with it.

They'll be happy to have that code as it means they don't need to do a lot of troubleshooting and can get your computer fixed ASAP.

They will offer to send you a new Hard Drive and some software disk along with it at no cost (if you are in warranty).

If you arent comfortable with replacing it yourself you can ask them to just send you a box and explain you aren't comfortable replacing the Hard Drive yourself. 

They will send you a box with a prepaid shipping label, this repair takes longer BUT they may have an oppertunity to extract a specific section of your data on your HDD. (MAYBE)

Other than that if it's out of warranty, you can still call HP or take it to a store and have them fix it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation