Question

Honor Student
Tomdea
Message 1 of 5 (1,113 Views)

Laptop won't shut down

Hi.

I have a dv9700.

When I try to shut down, it goes the steps, but restarts immmediately and does not shut down.

I'm using Vista Home Premium.

Does anyone know the problem or a potential solution to this.

Thanks.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (1,112 Views)

Re: Laptop won't shut down

Hi,

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Next, click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Tomdea
Message 3 of 5 (1,102 Views)

Hi David.

I tried what you suggested. The first time, it seemed to work, but thirty second later, it restarted again. I shutdown again after that, and restarted right away again.

Any other thoughts?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 5 (1,098 Views)

Hi,

Another thing to check, is whether this is being caused by one of the programs that start with Windows.

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Hold down the Windows key and press R.  In to the Run box type msconfig and hit enter.  In the following window, click the Start up tab, remove the tick next to each start up item and then click Apply to make the change.  Reboot the notebook, leave it for 5 minutes and see if it now shuts down normally.  If it does, re-enable one start up item at a time ( start with your security software ), click Apply and reboot.  Again, leave it for 5 minutes and then see if it still shutdown Ok. Keep doing this until you encounter the problem and you will know the last program you set to start is causing the shutdown issue.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Tomdea
Message 5 of 5 (1,077 Views)

Yeah, still no luck with this.

I even disabled all non MS services and tried the samething, but alas, it still shuts down and immediately restarts.

I also tried sleep mode, but it does the same thing, goes to sleep and immediately wakes up.

Any other thoughts?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation