Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have a Presario CQ61-461SA. 

All was fine until this morning and now when the battery is connected or the power cable is connected, the lightning bolt LED comes on and stays on but the laptop will not start.

I have tried taking out the battery and the power and pressing start button for 30secs but still no startup.

Please help

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

@andyloz wrote:

I have a Presario CQ61-461SA. 

All was fine until this morning and now when the battery is connected or the power cable is connected, the lightning bolt LED comes on and stays on but the laptop will not start.

I have tried taking out the battery and the power and pressing start button for 30secs but still no startup.

Please help

Is your notebook still within its warranty period? (usually that is one year)

If the answer is yes, then contact HP

If your answer is no then remove battery, external  power and the RTC battery. Leave it out for at least a couple of hours. The objective is to clear the CMOS settings. This has the effect of essentially bringing your notebook back to life. If this does not work there are other steps to take in isolating the cause of the no start scenario you are in.

Go to page 4-13 of the Service and Maintenence Guide for instructions on removing the RTC (CMOS) battery. You are lucky, Getting to the battery and removing it isa pretty simple task for this notebook.  All you need to remove is the battery and the hard drive cover. It is not so simple with most notebooks.  

Please post your results

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Followed your suggestion: disconnected all power, removed battery, removed the RTC battery, left for 2 hours, plugged back into mains but still nothing.

The lightning bolt LED comes on as soon as I connect power lead (even with battery removed) and it comes on as soon as I replace the battery even with the power disconnected.

I have also tried removing and replacing the RAM but no change. 

HP Recommended

See my previous  post. 

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

did everything you suggested in your lasy post.

could it be the power lead?

HP Recommended

Hi,

@andyloz wrote:

did everything you suggested in your lasy post.

could it be the power lead?

Except answer an important  question.  🙂     Is your notebook still within its warranty period? 

Which country did you purchase the notebook in?

I am having a difficult time locating support information. It could be the power lead. You can check that by wiggling the lead when it is plugged in to see if anything changes.

If you have access to the drivers and downloads page, update the BIOS and install all of the QFE and enhancements available. Sometimes a BIOS update will address an issue like this. 

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

sorry

Warranty ran out on 6th March (2 weeks ago!!)  bad luck or what

Have entered details on HP website to confirm purchase date as it was so close.

Bought it in the UK

Not able to download or install BIOS as the laptop will not start at all.

Have tried looking at what the lightning bolt means on google but no explaination for a constant blue light on.

Have read on one site something about the heat sink for the Motherboard/CPU.

Have tried leaving the power lead in overnight but no change.

Have tried jiggling the power lead but no change.  Could the adapter be faulty?

HP Recommended

Hi there,

i followed all the steps and my laptop power turned on, machine was running, but  the screen was just blank. I tried truning the laptop off by holding the power button, but nothing.

I unplugged the laptop from the mains and plugged it back in again and now its not turning on and the lightning bolt is just on.  Could this mean that a new CMOS battery is required?  

I have also tried another power lead, but the outcome is still the same.

Thanks.

Toolbox

HP Recommended

I need to drag this post out of the dead because I've had a laptop returned to me by one of my users with this exact problem.

It's a ProBook 6570b. When you plug the battery in, or power supply in without a battery or even with a battery all I can see is a solid white light on the lightning bolt LED.

The machine will not power on from the button, and there are no further LEDs lighting up or blinking as you would expect to indicate an error state.

Has anyone ever found a solution to this, or should I just admit defeat and accept the device is dead?

Thank you,

Andrew

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.