Question

Student
LexProf25
Message 1 of 2 (706 Views)

Loud continous beep and won't boot up on HP G70-258US notebook

Hi. I'm working on an HP G70-258US notebook given to me by my sister-in-law who said it stopped working. I disassembled it to clean out the dust ball in the fan vent, carefully cleaned the fan and the rest of the interior, redid the thermal paste for the cpu, checked everything, battery, memory, hdd, mobo battery,  but when I try to enter the BIOS, I can't, nor can I get it to boot up. All I get is just a black screen with a cursor, or, a loud continuous beep that won't stop, or a loud beep beep beep that goes on forever and won't stop, until until I force a shutdown! I'm a little worried that since they didn't blow out the dust bunny, ever, that it has overheated and compromised something on the mobo.

I'm lost for a solution.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 2 (689 Views)

Re: Loud continous beep and won't boot up on HP G70-258US notebook

Lex,

I am mot an expert in this particular area; I picked up your ticket because if I were you and if this is still going on after all these hours, I might be freaked out.

Read everything of interest to you and then act.

I can offer a couple of good resource documents that can help you get pointed in the right direction:

Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays - No Error Messages During Startup or Boot - LEDs on

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

Extra help:  HP G70-258US Notebook PC support

==========================================================================================

Considering that you did disassemble the notebook to such a degree, it might just be that the memory needs to be reseated.  Also check VERY carefully the area around where you replaced the thermal paste - too much or bits in the wrong place can be a bad thing.

You might have disturbed "the force" in the notebook.  This is a way of saying that the drivers and software may be in a tangle and need to be "refreshed" from the on-disk Operating System.  Perform a  Hard Reset  on that notebook.

If that does not do it, follow the Hard Reset with the following procedure (if you can get into the BIOS at this point):

1. As soon as you power on the notebook, repeatedly click the ESC key to bring up the Startup Menu
  2. Select F10 to launch the BIOS menu
  3. Depending on your BIOS, you will click F5 or F9 to load the default settings – then use the arrow keys to Select “Yes” and then click “Enter”
  4. Press F10 to save the Settings – then use the arrow keys to Select “Yes” and click “Enter”

==========================================================================================

Good Luck!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the Experts who take time to help!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation