Question

Student
FentonJ
Message 1 of 23 (6,121 Views)

My Computer Is Broken- HELP!!!

I don't know if this is the section where I need to post, but my computer doesn't really turn on. When I hit the power button the blue lights come on and the fan turns on. Then the fan shuts off and the blue lights will stay on for a little longer and then they shut off. The computer then restarts itself and it repeats the same actions- over and over and over again.

My friend suggested it was the powercord because mine had melted. So I bought a new power cord. When I plugged it in the blue light where the powercord plugs in came on, but the lights in the front of the computer did not come on. This is making me think that the computer is just not charging. But it's not the power cord that's the problem. I have no idea what to do so I'm hoping someone out there can help me.

I would just take it to a computer store, but I'm outside of the country right now and they won't touch my computer here. Oh! And just so you know my computer is an HP Pavilion DV6000.

Thanks,

FentonJ

Student
ron57108
Message 2 of 23 (6,100 Views)

Re: My Computer Is Broken- HELP!!!

Mine did the same a week ago - two months after warranty expiration.

Everything I read about the problem is regarding a VERY common nVidia heat/chip problem on the motherboard.

I thought HP would have had the decency to provide me with a motherboard withouth the potential for this problem when I last sent it in for a BIOS problem.Some say that you can fix by using a heatgun to heat the chip up sufficiently to remelt/connect the solder connection between the chip & motherboard. Unless I can find a way to get this resolved, I think it will be time for a new Dell.

Student
SKKKKKK
Message 3 of 23 (6,015 Views)

I have been facing same trouble since a week ago.

I am now inquiring of HP Support Contact.....:smileysad:

I'll come back after receiving an answer.

Honor Student
tmor1044
Message 4 of 23 (5,786 Views)

I also have a dv6000 and just had the same thing happen to me just yesterday. Called HP and got nowhere (well unless I want to pay lots of money for help that does not cover any cost of repair). Looks like this is a common problem ??

Student
teach2play
Message 5 of 23 (5,778 Views)

I have a dv9743cl notebook that has worked well for 22 months.  Then, after leaving the computer for a few minutes, I returned to find a "lit up" but dark screen -- no cursor, no text.  Nothing seems to work, including setting up an external monitor.  Help!  I need this machine!

D Shrader
Student
lewisr14
Message 6 of 23 (5,607 Views)

I am also experiencing the same problem.  Good luck on finding an easy fix.

hope you will tell us what you find.

Tutor
Diesel_Kurt
Message 7 of 23 (5,429 Views)

i have a dv9854ca  with vista 64 bit and the nvidia 8600 card....try this before doing anything else....worked for me. i was having severe problems with my video and had to re-set system several times. i did several checks and was sure that the graphics card overheated and was shot, i could get the system working if i disabled the graphics card but how fun is that? i had a friend over who tried this simple fix and bingo the graphics were working properly. it was to do with the cmos, for some reason it was like there was a glitch in there. so he went into the cmos and chose the "load factory defaults" setting and the next thing i knew it was working. i had to re-install the operating system 1 more time ....but it appears the graphics overheat issue my not be so cut and dry. i would have sworn that i was going to have to replace the main board or try the reflow idea.

Student
danielsHR
Message 8 of 23 (4,903 Views)

[ Edited ]

[text deleted] My cord melted in the computer so I can't remove it. My other HP computer's screen went blank after the warranty expired.

Tutor
pdmc06
Message 9 of 23 (4,834 Views)

I  have a similar issue with my G60-120us. HP says it is a bad mother board. What they do not mention is that the nVidia GPU is overheating (as it did in other models they extended the warranty for) and causing the GPU to melt the solder on the mother board and the GPU is no longer connected. The laptop appers to be in sleep mode since the graphics cannot start. HP will do nothing about this as the 7000 series nVidia GPU is the only one they will admit has an issue, not the 8000 series that are in the G series and many other laptops.

Top Student
reneeg1957
Message 10 of 23 (4,520 Views)

Presario F730US (okay, it is out of warranty - face it, not everyone can get a new laptop EVERY year!) that is doing this.

If I am lucky, at some time it will boot up and I can sign in - if I am not lucky, by the time I realize that it finally came up - the mouse cursor has gone invisible and I have to try restarting by blindly moving the lit up area around at random until it brings up restart or shut down.

I like Vista and I like the laptop (wide screen - great for watching DVDs) - but I am tearing my hair out several times a week with this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation