Question

Honor Student
islandcindi
Message 1 of 13 (57,422 Views)

My HP Pavilion laptop screen flickers-WHY???

All of a sudden---my HP Pavilion laptop screen flickers - at the bottom!  WHY?  How do I  make this go away???

HELP !!

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 13 (57,417 Views)

Re: My HP Pavilion laptop screen flickers-WHY???

Hi,

Hope your machine is not this bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVDtf7XLgU0

From my Googling, this is a hardware problem

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
islandcindi
Message 3 of 13 (57,410 Views)

my screen is still flickering - no matter what I do.  I've watched at least 25 youtube videos, and none have my specific problem.  

I may have to take it to FutureShop and have one of their technicians - at least talk to me first about the problem.  

HP is totally useless for help.  I would NEVER buy one of these - my husband bought me this for Xmas.  I would have purchased an Apple MacBook.

Oh well - I'll see if I can fix this and not let it get any worse!!!

Thanx for your insights.

Honor Student
Draax
Message 4 of 13 (57,337 Views)

I have an HDX Dragon (HDX9494nr) that I am having compatibility issues with, with SSDs. I have now tried two different SSDs and they result in the same problem.

SSD 1 - Mushkin Chronos 120GB SATA3

SSD 2 - OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB SATA2

The machine will hard-lock, but I will still be able to move the mouse for a few seconds before that locks up. At this point the machine needs to be reset.

I have tried installing Intel RST (a couple different versions). I have tried both the newest intel AHCI driver as well as the MS AHCI driver. I have also tried setting LPT to the off state, by editing the regestry.

All of these methods result in the exact same lock up.

I know it is not the drive as the drive has no problems in my gaming rig. I tried to remedy this situation by talking to a Mushkin rep but he told me I need an updated BIOS with an updated OROM.

Please help.

Honor Student
laptoprepairguy
Message 5 of 13 (55,868 Views)

There is a known issue with some models of HP laptops.  I saw many screen flickering issues back in 2009 due to a Nvidia chip fault in HP laptops.

Most laptop screen flickering issue I see now though are due to loose connections from the mainboard to the LCD panel.

Honor Student
laptoprepairguy
Message 6 of 13 (55,867 Views)

Forgot to add, before trying to take apart your laptop try the VGA/HDMI port with an external monitor - this will rule out if it is the chip or panel/connecition issue.

Top Student
MikeKhzouz
Message 7 of 13 (50,655 Views)

I had similiar issues with hp elitebook and had to send it to HP for a couple of times and was never fixed.. then i was able to fix it after spening 10 hours of looking around... here was the simple solution for my the elitebook..

http://www.bostonit.com/KnowledgeBase-Links-Articles/HP-Elitebook-Screen-Flickers.html

Mike

Student
wcbuell
Message 8 of 13 (47,407 Views)

All of a sudden---my HP Pavilion all-in-one screen flickers - at the bottom!  WHY?  How do I  make this go away???

The refresh seems to be set at 62 Hz and can't be adjusted!!  Help!

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 9 of 13 (47,384 Views)

My HP Pavilion laptop screen flickers-WHY???

In most cases, this is a hardware issue of some sort. Some have noted that disabling the ambient light sensor works for them, but not all notebooks have this option.

Also, you mentioned this is only at the bottom of the screen. I doubt it is is a refresh rate issue as this generally will make the whole screen have an issue.

Where did you try to change the refresh rate? 62Hz is an odd refresh rate (most are at 60Hz), but this could be the official refresh rate of the screen. In most cases, this is not changeable and is set by the specifications of the display panel.

Did anything at all happen prior to this issue?

What is the exact model and product number of your notebook?
NOTE: Do not provide the serial number.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Student
64bearcat
Message 10 of 13 (45,723 Views)

My son-in-law had the same problem, he said his came from the web cam being unplugged or not connected properly, out of warranty so he didn't send it in or try to fix, just doesn't snap the laptop together

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation