Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I tried to restart my laptop but it won't shut off and the screen is black. Help, I don't know what to do!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey Raacbell,

The ENVY Ultrabook series has a built in battery that cannot be easily removed without disassembly.

If, down the road, you need to replace the battery because of regular wear and tear on the Lithium Ion battery you can see how to replace it starting on page 35 here: HP Envy 4 - Maintenance and Service Guide.

Thanks! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Raacbell ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the screen is black on your notebook and it will not shut down.

You should be able to force a shutdown by holding the power button for 4 or more seconds. If you have already done this and are still having the same issues with rebooting, test a shut down and see if it does the same thing.

If holding the power button does not resolve the issue remove the adapter and battery to shut down the notebook.

If the notebook does not boot up let me know if you see any blinking lights or hear any sounds. If it looks like it's starting up properly try and external display to see if the screen is the issue.

It would also really help to know which notebook you have and the installed operating system. For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? To see which version of Windows you are using click here: Which Windows operating system am I running?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  I was able to turn off my computer by holding down the pwer button for 60 seconds.  Just curious, how would I take out my battery?  I can't see it on the bottom of my computer.  I have an HP Envy 4-1043CL Ultrabook with Windows 7.  Thanks

HP Recommended

Hey Raacbell,

The ENVY Ultrabook series has a built in battery that cannot be easily removed without disassembly.

If, down the road, you need to replace the battery because of regular wear and tear on the Lithium Ion battery you can see how to replace it starting on page 35 here: HP Envy 4 - Maintenance and Service Guide.

Thanks! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Hey I'm having the same issue. My HP Envy won't turn off and it has a black screen. I've tried taking out the battery and restarting it but when I put the battery back on it reverts back to the black screen with power. I hear constant beeping noise coming from the laptop and the light on the power button fades in and out occasionally. I don't know what the problem is.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.