Question

Honor Student
Shelynn123321
Message 1 of 4 (389 Views)

My HP2000 won't let me log on!

I left my computer on, and when I tried to log on, it let me in, but the mouse wasn't working. So shut my computer down hoping that it would reboot, but when I tried to log in, the mouse still wasn't working. I took the battery out to see if that would help, but then when I put the battery back in and tried to turn on my computer, it came to a screen that said "a disk read error occurred...press ctrl+alt+del to restart". I have done this multiple times, and it keeps brining me to this screen. If you have any idea what this could be, PLEASE help!!
Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 2 of 4 (375 Views)

Re: My HP2000 won't let me log on!

Hello Shelynn123321,

It sounds like you may have a bad hard drive.  Test it by running a Hard Drive Self Test.

Power up the notebook, tap the  F10 key on startup, and at the BIOS Setup Screen, select Diagnostics >> Primary Hard Drive Self Test.

Let the Short and Long Test complete. If you receive any error with the test, that would confirm a Hard Drive failure.

What is your product number?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Shelynn123321
Message 3 of 4 (366 Views)

Thank you for your response, but I'm not entirely sure how to press my f10 button. The "f" buttons are sort of like sub-buttons, and I'm not sure how to use them. I tried pressing the "fn" button along with the f10 button, but that did nothing, and the computer still brought me to the same screen. Also, I'm not sure where I would find a product number. If you have any further advice, or any more suggestions, they would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you!
Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 4 of 4 (364 Views)

If you click on the work 'product number' in my post above, you will see a document that shows you where to find it.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation