Question

Student
Deanabeana
Message 1 of 5 (3,165 Views)

My laptop freezes up constantly

My laptop, which is still under warranty, a COMPAQ Presario CQ62 constantly freezes up on me.The problem has gotten steadily worse. I noticed it on occasion, but now I am guaranteed it to happen every time I attempt to view anything video related. I am also seeing on a regular basis, non-responsive web pages where I am not viewing videos. I do not run a pile of applications on my laptop. But I find in general it just seems to run slower & slower. Also quite often when I try to click on control alt delete, this is ineffective & gives me an error, thus forcing me to do an improper shut down. No computer likes an improper shut down!!

I run McAffee & have never had virus's or any spyware; my system is VERY clean!!

But please, if anyone can help me in a language that I can understand, this would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty computer saavy, but high-tech things tend to baffle me. I'm hoping this is something relatively simple!!

Thanks!! :smileyhappy:

Dee

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (3,142 Views)

Re: My laptop freezes up constantly

Hi Dee,

Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on the Hard Drive and Memory.  Run both tests and post back with the results.

Next, load Windows, then from the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Next, click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
newknees
Message 3 of 5 (3,133 Views)

this fix has fixed my taptop CQ62 I have also added more ram to  8 gig 

l find it also lets me run more programs. It has not frozen.

thanks for the fix

newknees

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 5 (3,130 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped :smileyhappy:

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
Eosaji
Message 5 of 5 (443 Views)

The solution provided does not work for as I could not find the command prompt in the Accessory folder. It started freezing when I tried to update my iPhone 5. If I don't go online or connect my iPhone to its' ok. But as son I go online it freeze sometime with the message "site not responding due long running script. Thanks.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation