Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

the first time this happened was a few days ago. I would just be using the internet normally, and safely, and then, BAM! it just dies on me. no blue screen. just as if it was forced shut down. when i turn it on, this screen comes on, it says something like "your computer was not shut down properly..." or something like that; the screen changes to quickly for me to finish reading everything. and then it goes to the loading screen where the circle thing orbits the hp sign and then it goes black for a while, but not the forced shut down kind of black, just a black screen. then it takes me to the "choose keyboard layout" screen, i choose the US keyboard, and then it goes to the screen that says "choose an option". i choose "continue" which brings me to my lock screen and then everything apears to work normal again until, BAM! it happens again! it comes at random time, this black screen of death. What is wrong with it? please tell me how to fix it. i have a 

HP ENVY TouchSmart 4-1215dx Ultrabook.

its just only reaching about a year old. please help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello Koulae,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I have read your post on how your notebook computer's display randomly jumps to a black screen, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To restore the visibility on your notebook computer, I recommend following this document on when the Computer Starts but Screen Remains Blank (Windows 😎.

For further assistance, I will need to know:

The version of Windows you have installed on your computer.
If your computer has completed all of its important Windows Updates.
If you have updated your HP drivers using the HP Support Assistant.
If this is an on-going, or recent issue.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
No, no. Starting up is fine. It's just that it shuts down in my at random times. I'm running windows 8.1 and EVERYTHING is up to date
HP Recommended

Hello again koulae,

I apologise for the confusion!

Since your computer starts up fine, and then shuts down at random, I recommend following this document on Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating. This should help prevent the entirety of your system from overheating. 

Additionally, I also suggest investigating the health of the AC adapter for your notebook by following this resource on Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter

If the AC adapter passes the diagnostic tests, please follow the steps outlines in this document on Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 😎. This should help determine if there is a hardware defect on your computer causing your system to shut down automatically. 

If the issue persists, please call our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I hope this helps!

Regards

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Ok, so I think I figured out WHY it shuts off. Its pretty odd actually. It turns off when I move and pivot the screen too fast. I dont get how this would kill my computer though. Hopefully you have an answer. 

HP Recommended

Hello again Koulae,

Since the screen turns black when the display is moved, I suspect the display cable is loose or damaged. To remedy this, I recommend replacing the Display Panel Cable Assembly if your computer is out of warranty. The part number you will need to identify the cable is 687718-001 (according to the Maintenance and Service Guide on page 75 and 76).

If you computer is in warranty, please call our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I hope this helps!

Regards 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.