Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Specs:

(G50 123nr) 

Windows 7 Ult (32 bit)

aftermarket battery and a/c adaptor

approx. 2.5 years old

My laptop suddenly shutdown (presumeably due to low battery but I can't be sure of that) and I am no longer able to boot with the battery installed.

A black screen with a little hyphen-looking symbol displayed in the far upper left (similar to the brief, normal pre-boot screen where the hyphen is blinking) comes up, but it never makes it past that screen if the battery is in.

I am able to make it boot normally on a/c power only (no battery installed).

If I connect the battery after the laptop has booted, the battery icon in the lower left shows no battery connected (little red "X" symbol) no matter what I do.

Ultimately my question is this: Is this a problem with the battery, internal charging circuit, or is it a software config. problem.

I am needing to decided whether to buy a new battery (this one is about a year old) or replace that laptop entirely.

I appreciate your help in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Install HP Support Assistant from here and follow instructions from below link to run a test on your battery

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00821536

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

That was maddeningly unhelpful.

Running a battery test with HP Support Assistant only gives me an error and tells me that my laptop is not recognizing the battery. We already know that.

HP Recommended

The battert test is obviously helpful. It told you that it may or may not be an issue with battery but it clearly indicated battery is not getting detected which means its a  problem with the battery controller on the Notebook.

Even if you buy a new battery it may not resolve your problem as problem lies with the notebook itself. 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

I have this same problem.  Did you ever find a resolution?  I purchased a new battery and it does the same thing.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Hello jrs159,

What is your product number and operating system?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I've the same problem, do you resolved it ? 

HP Recommended

Same here. Will not load windows with ac and battery installed. Boot without battery just fine. Install battery and battery compliant software blinks screen bright to dim. Charge port turns red then white till battery is removed. Tried everything on the net and nothing works. Complaints all over the internet and nothing being done.

HP Recommended

Did this EVER get answered? Pavillion dv6z with OS 7. Thanks

HP Recommended

Could you elaborate? What battery controller? thank you

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.