Question
My new HP Envy X2 freezes
Replies (39)

Intern
chrisrach3
Message 11 of 40 (1,709 Views)

Re: My new HP Envy X2 freezes

Well, dang it. It froze again. I was in Chrome scrolling down a webpage (looking at a pdf file). Firefox was also open...I believe it was open last time it froze as well. I wonder if it's Firefox. On the last computer, Firefox often went into "not responding" mode...

Grad Student
computerwhiz90
Message 12 of 40 (1,704 Views)

**bleep**.

I know you are going to get tired of me saying this. However, can you run a memory quick test? I just want to see if maybe there is a bad ram stick in that one. Otherwise, I am going to advise you how to change the virtual memory settings for a little higher, so it will then hopefully perform better.

If the memory test passes, please perform the following steps.

Go to Control Panel, System & Security, System.

Perform a Windows Experience Index test. I want to see what we can do to speed up your performance.

After that is completed and reported, go into advanced system settings, Advanced =>Performance => Settings => Advanced => Virtual Memory=> Change=> Custom Size: Triple the system recommended. Do a minimum of Triple and a max of Quad. Rounding off is ok too. Mine says 5618, so I have set mine to a minimum of 15000-20000. However, I want to inform you that you could experience overheating. If you do, Turn that setting down 1 tier at a time. So in this scenario, we would change to double-triple base value, 10k-15k. This should solve the lag no problem.

Intern
chrisrach3
Message 13 of 40 (1,701 Views)

How do I run a memory quick test?
Grad Student
computerwhiz90
Message 14 of 40 (1,699 Views)

Go into the UEFI by hitting F2 and go into component tests, then select memory and then memory quick test.
Intern
chrisrach3
Message 15 of 40 (1,694 Views)

Thanks...just did it, here's what it said:

Processor Check : SOFTWARE ERROR

Memory Quick Check : PASSED

Component Test : PASSED

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/PCDiags

Grad Student
computerwhiz90
Message 16 of 40 (1,692 Views)

OK. go through HP Assistant and get Everything Updated. That UEFI needs to be updated then run it again. If it is already updated, then contact HP Tech Support and get a CSO for a CPU Replacement
Grad Student
computerwhiz90
Message 17 of 40 (1,692 Views)
Intern
chrisrach3
Message 18 of 40 (1,686 Views)

Thanks...will do. Tried tonight...HP support assistant says no updates, tried with the link you sent and file to recognize CPU would download but not open. Maybe I'm dumb tonight. :smileyhappy:

I did talk to someone from support yesterday and they were about to ship another computer to me, but I told them I was just going to buy another.

Here's my question...is there someone out there with an Envy x2 that DOESN'T freeze? I was hoping my first was just a bad apple, but that's become less likely since the most recent computer.
Grad Student
computerwhiz90
Message 19 of 40 (1,680 Views)

Are you in the US? If I have free time tomorrow, perhaps we could do a WebEx or something so I can help you figure this out.
Intern
chrisrach3
Message 20 of 40 (1,673 Views)

I am...would be glad to. How do I do it?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation