Question
My new HP Pavilion Dv7 lags and freezes alot!
Replies (16)

Honor Student
jambled
Message 11 of 17 (2,076 Views)

Re: My new HP Pavilion Dv7 lags and freezes alot!

My dv7 does exactly the same thing and has since I bought it (around 5  months ago). Thought it was my bad luck to choose a laptop that just didn't work very well but possibly there's something wrong with the disk. I've never been able to use Firefox - ever. It would freeze everything so I switched to Chrome. I also can't seem to use iTunes with anything else running, and can't use chrome and watch a movie since the movie will skip and the sound will not sync. Sometimes just watching a movie it won't work.

Seriously annoying! Will try the steps mentioned here and report back...

I called the shop where I bought it, their answer was I had a virus and would have to pay them to check into it - tried to explain this has been happening since I bought the computer but since they've never heard of a computer coming with a virus I don't think they believed me.

Oh and I bought my laptop in Melbourne also, weird!

Honor Student
eczhaf
Message 12 of 17 (2,048 Views)

Hi, David. This is what came out from running the Hard disk check on BIOS:

Hard Disk 1 Quick (303)

basically, it didnt complete the disk check..

The problem with my laptop is it keeps freezing time and time again eventhough i restored it to the original factory settings.. it normally happens once i start updating windows, install HP updates or when it hibernates/sleeps..then i cant seem to start windows again..its so frustrating..appreciate your advice, david.. thanks

Provost
DavidPK
Message 13 of 17 (2,042 Views)

Hi eczhaf,

The 303 error you have from the Hard Drive test would indicate the drive is failing - the only option is to replace the HDD but you may want to try the following process described below first and then retry the bios test on the HDD again to see if you still get a failure; if you do, I think you're best bet is to replace the drive.

Click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Jane_Doe
Message 14 of 17 (2,033 Views)

Hello again,

Sadly this confused me a bit but I couldn't seem to get Ubuntu to run without being on the computer.

Also, are there any places in launceston I could take my laptop to get it looked at, i'm a bit worried that I won't know whats wrong before the warranty runs out early next year.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 15 of 17 (2,026 Views)

@Jane_Doe,

To contact HP regarding any repair under warranty, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
jambled
Message 16 of 17 (1,994 Views)

I did all the disc checks suggested and everything was fine - but it took me 15 seconds to get up to typing to here as my computer froze (and chrome is the only thing I have open and running right now).

Does that mean it's just the way the machine is? My old Toshiba I replaced had half the RAM this has but ran quicker! And it could handle multi-tasking!

Anything else I can check or do? Like I said, this has been happening ever since I bought the computer so it's not like it just suddenly started one day or has been getting worse. It's a constant issue I've had from the start.

Honor Student
PADDY3626
Message 17 of 17 (1,730 Views)

My new HP pavillion DV7 does the exact same, it keeps freezing on me!. i have had the computer 1 month, and already have had it back to HP where they found no problems with the laptop :/  yet never the less they still `upgraded the BIOS` before promptly returning it to me. on the same day i received the laptop back, it yet again froze out on me. it has now froze another 4 times in the 5 days that i have had it back. Not a problem i should expect straight from the manufacturer, especialy after it cost an invesment of over £900. This problem needs a resolution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation